Sealing internal brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best thing to use to seal internal brick walls?

We're turning our garage into a (part time) games room so need to spruce it up a bit.

Ideally looking for something that dries clear so we can still see the bricks - we won't be painting over it.

Also, would the same thing work on breeze blocks (as one of the walls is built with them).

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can but a clear brick sealer..water based i think, try b an q

You could use a clear matt varnish. If the bricks are old bricks that have been cleaned up and you want to bring out their natural colour you can use 50% Turps and 50% raw linseed oil. The turps gives the bricks the natural colour and the oil keeps it that way.

Sponsored Links
That looks good..cheers for that Rob..

top tip there robbie havnt herd that one before. by turps do you mean actual turps or white spirit?

Doesnt really matter which one. Ive done this many times on old brickwork. Brings out the natural colour of the brick. Works best on the old types of bricks.

hi robbie

I would like to ask a bit more about the turps/linseed oil treatment.

do you mix the 2 up together and then apply or do you treat with turps first and then apply the oil?

Only asking because I honestly do not know- but what is wrong with plain old diluted pva- cheap/odourless/easy clean up.

What do you think diluted pva would be like compared to the patio sealer for using instead of the patio sealer (for sealing patios) as a money saver?

Would they be anywhere near the same strength?

I'm genuinely interested/not trying to be funny

Thing is PVA will put a slight shine on the brick work, which is what i didnt want at the time.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib
What do you think diluted pva would be like compared to the patio sealer for using instead of the patio sealer (for sealing patios) as a money saver?

Would they be anywhere near the same strength?

I'm genuinely interested/not trying to be funny

I wouldn't recommend using pva outside

• Thanks
Reactions: Hib

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back