sealing joints in plastic pipes

GSD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to seal two push fit joints in some 40mm plastic waste pipes but as I may need to undo these in future I don't want to use the solvent method, which I believe is permanent and can't be undone. Is there an alternative like using silicon instead? Many thanks, GSD

Sponsored Links
You can't use solvent on pushfit waste pipes - different plastic, different diameter of fitting.

Pushfit pipes have pushfit fittings, or as mogget suggests, universal fittings

These joints are firstly into a boss on a soil pipe and then an elbow joint. Neither of these have any 'O' rings or anything else to fully seal the joints. For space reasons I'm not able to use compression joints so I'm looking for an alternative which will still allow me to pull the joints part if I need to in future. Would something like Fernox LS-X provide a leak free joint? Many thanks, GSD

Sponsored Links
no o-rings...

It sounds like you've got solvent weld fittings when you need push-fit. Push-fit fittings have an o-ring to provide a seal. You don't need sealant / glue (aside from solvent cement) with any common waste system.

These joints are firstly into a boss on a soil pipe and then an elbow joint. Neither of these have any 'O' rings or anything else to fully seal the joints. For space reasons I'm not able to use compression joints so I'm looking for an alternative which will still allow me to pull the joints part if I need to in future. Would something like Fernox LS-X provide a leak free joint? Many thanks, GSD

Probably, but I wouldn't gamble on it since the fitting will be so tight as to not guarantee the silicon wouldn't be pushed out as you assemble it.

Is there anyway that you could replace this section with pushfit and join to the pipework at a more convenient place with universal coupler?

Thanks for this. However I don't want to use solvent to weld the fittings together because I might well need to take them apart in future. In these circumstances I do need an alternative to effectively seal the joints without making this permanent and would have thought that there must be something available that will do the job. GSD.

Thanks for this. However I don't want to use solvent to weld the fittings together because I might well need to take them apart in future. In these circumstances I do need an alternative to effectively seal the joints without making this permanent and would have thought that there must be something available that will do the job. GSD.

Nothing springs to mind - the fittings are designed to be used in the way they are intended. You could try wrapping some ptfe around the end of the pipe before pushing it into the socket, but there's no guarantee it wouldn't work loose over time.

Why would you need to dismantle them in future, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for this. However I don't want to use solvent to weld the fittings together

If you have the kind of fitting that you can solvent weld, you have the wrong fittings! Pushfit are different, and have o-rings.

Or have I tuned in to the wrong channel?

yeah was wondering myself?

not worth bodgin pal, if you need to take it out at a later date then just cut it out?!

If you have the kind of fitting that you can solvent weld, you have the wrong fittings! Pushfit are different, and have o-rings.
Far be it for me to complain, but have I not already pointed this out? :confused:

Looking back at it, yes we did make the same point in different ways.

Hopefully having two 'angles' on it will help the OP. Apologies if I've trodden on your toes.

Looking back at it, yes we did make the same point in different ways.

Hopefully having two 'angles' on it will help the OP. Apologies if I've trodden on your toes.

Unforgiven! It's over between us :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back