sealing joints in plastic pipes

Sponsored Links
OK. To go into a bit more detail I've inherited a very bodged job where a 40mm drain pipe from a bath buried deep under the bathroom floor exits through an external wall, then immediately enters and then exits an elbow joint, and then enters a strap boss adaptor in a soil pipe. The main problem is that the boss adapter used was far too small for the boss itself and has, as a result, been filled out with a whole mass of silicon which over time has started to leak quite badly. This is particularly important because the toilet waste entry to the soil pipe is only a foot or so above where the the bathroom waste enters with obvious implications for the sort of residue that may be leaking.

My solution has been to dismantle everything, find the correct size of Osma boss adaptor, insert this in the boss and then reuse the 40mm pipe and elbow to reconnect this to the 40mm drain from the bath. The length of pipe from the elbow to the boss adaptor is no more than about 6mm so I'm very concerned that if I use solvent to weld the boss adaptor to the boss and the pipe both to the elbow and stub of the pipe from the bath I won't be able to take everything apart again if any leaks do arise. That's why I would prefer to use a sealant that is effective in preventing any leaks but which doesn't prevent me taking things apart if I need to, particularly as the very short length of pipe would, I think, make it difficult to use proper push fit joints.

I hope that this explains things a bit better and if you have a solution I would be very grateful to hear of it. GSD.

Sponsored Links
Update: I assembled the pipework this morning using Fernox SL-X to seal the connections between the boss adaptor and the boss plus the elbow connections to the intermediate piece of pipework and the waste pipe stub coming out of the wall. However I had a terrible job getting the 44mm outside diameter pipe into the boss adaptor until I realised that this was really designed to accept a 40mm push fit pipe. The good news is that having tested everything all seems to be well at the moment with no leaks.

Having said that, and just in case I do get any leaks, I took your advice and bought a 40mm push fit swept elbow to replace what is clearly a 44mm weld elbow. However I now realise that as the stub pipe coming out of the wall has a 44mm outside diameter and can't realistically be replaced I really need a reducer of some sort to enable the push fit elbow to be attached to this. If these are available I will also replace the 44mm outside diametr intermediate pipe with a 40mm push fit piece of pipe and then have an all push fit assembly.

I do hope that this makes sense but are reducers like this actually available? Alternatively is it possible to get swept elbows with a 40mm push fit connection at one end and a 44mm weld connection at the other? If not are there any other solutions?

Many thanks, GSD

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back