Sealing mastic residues after removal of old vynil tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am renovating a kitchen which had many loose/ broken/missing vynil floor tiles. I wish to refloor the kitchen with sheet vynil flooring. I have removed all of the tiles but this has left much of the area still covered by black mastic-like tile adhesive residue. The residue is not sticky or tacky and seems to be quite stable.

I have mentioned this to various flooring material salespersons, and their reactions have ranged from " I wouldn't worry about it. Simply cover the area with vynil" to "You need to seal the residue to prevent it showing through the new vynil in two or three years time". Unfortunately no one seems to know of a suitable sealant!

Clearly I don't want to have to relay it again in such a short time and, ideally, I would like to avoid having to try to remove the residue either mechanically or by the use of solvents which I understand can be either very hard work or very messy.

I wonder if any forum members have come across this problem and can suggest a suitable sealant. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome, please.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back