sealing slate floor tiles with alternative sealants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm experimenting with a few spare slate tiles to be used for a small area (3-4 tiles only) - since I have some leftovers water repellent sealers products already I'd like to save a few quids and use these instead of having to buy proper slate sealers.
One sealer I've used is the Sealocrete SealProof INTEGRAL (waterproofer & retarder):
http://www.sealocrete.com/product_48_27 - this is designed to be mixed with cement/sand/water for concrete, and mortar mixes.

The other is a stabilizing solution: Wickes Master Exterior Stabilizing Solution with a very high VOC content (more than 50%) - this is a resins solution for external masonry walls - unfortunately I can't find any link about this product and I assume this is because is an older product which isn't in the market anymore...

Both products produce very encouraging results so far: the slates absorb much less water than the originals and have a darker hue which is very welcome in my case as this nearly matches the main bulk of the floor made of dark grey porcelain tiles...
Right now, I'm tempted to opt for the Sealocrete - simply because it seems more eco friendly and better for internal use...

Has anyone done similar experiments?

Sponsored Links
simple answer is its not designed for slate, use a proper penetrating sealer from Lithofin, Tpt etc.

they advertise oxos on buses but they dont sell them, use the correct sealer or ya wasting ya time and effort

simple answer is its not designed for slate, use a proper penetrating sealer from Lithofin, Tpt etc.

they advertise oxos on buses but they dont sell them, use the correct sealer or ya wasting ya time and effort

As I've mentioned I'm only using 3-4 tiles - these are going to be installed in areas which aren't going to be seen/used (under the shower cabinet).
These products I'm testing aren't specifically designed for slates but in what way do slate differ from masonry? The Wickes Master Stabilizing in particular is highly penetrating and contains a resinous solutions - just like the product designed for slates...(the cement additive perhaps is a gamble).
Then, let's be honest....the market is full of products which aren't strictly necessary and often the difference is just repackaging/re-branding and basically taking advantage of consumer's insecurities...

The obvious question is why would you? unless you have these lying around (i'm guessing you do) it'd cost you more to buy and test these to get the proper stuff.

if they aren't going to be seen\used its probably not worth sealing them at all.

By using products designed for the job you get manufacturers backing and advise, usually thats worth paying for.

If your happy with the finish of any of the products you already have then use them by all means, but i doubt your going to get any tiler suggesting that any of these things will work, i cant imagine any tiler using anything thats not designed for the job at a customers, they'd just be asking for complaints

Sponsored Links
The obvious question is why would you? unless you have these lying around (i'm guessing you do) it'd cost you more to buy and test these to get the proper stuff.

if they aren't going to be seen\used its probably not worth sealing them at all.

By using products designed for the job you get manufacturers backing and advise, usually thats worth paying for.

If your happy with the finish of any of the products you already have then use them by all means, but i doubt your going to get any tiler suggesting that any of these things will work, i cant imagine any tiler using anything thats not designed for the job at a customers, they'd just be asking for complaints

Of course I have these stuff already! It would be bonkers go and buy new products which aren't designed for a particular task...
The finish from both of these products is very encouraging - the stabilizing solution gives a bit of gloss which can be minimized by diluting with a bit of white spirit (reading from the instructions) - the cement additive gives a perfect match in term of glossiness and both darken the grey of the original which is great.
These few tiles are going to be fitted under the shower enclosure (which stands on 4 small pedestals) so, I thought it might be a good idea to seal them....not strictly necessary, but at least I've found some use from some products which have been stored for years by now.
Then, if there is the need to seal more tiles in the future I would know if these alternatives are reliable or not.

Right now, I'd encourage others to do the same (don't blame me if something goes wrong) - check this thread in a few years?!

Of course I have these stuff already! It would be bonkers go and buy new products which aren't designed for a particular task...
The finish from both of these products is very encouraging - the stabilizing solution gives a bit of gloss which can be minimized by diluting with a bit of white spirit (reading from the instructions) - the cement additive gives a perfect match in term of glossiness and both darken the grey of the original which is great.
These few tiles are going to be fitted under the shower enclosure (which stands on 4 small pedestals) so, I thought it might be a good idea to seal them....not strictly necessary, but at least I've found some use from some products which have been stored for years by now.
Then, if there is the need to seal more tiles in the future I would know if these alternatives are reliable or not.

Right now, I'd encourage others to do the same (don't blame me if something goes wrong) - check this thread in a few years?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back