Sealing walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing some odd-bit-at-a-time prep work in my kitchen which involves removing tiling in various places, squaring off a brick archway etc.

What can I do to keep down the dust from exposed bits of wall with crumbling plaster etc until the work starts in earnest? Dilute PVA?

Sponsored Links
You can use PVA to seal dusty walls, 1 part PVA to 5 parts water should do the trick.
I would gave the wall a good clean down first and remove as much dust and dirt as possible.
What are going to finish the surfaces with when your work starts?

The walls will be, in various places:

1) replastered.

2) battened and boarded (so no surface worries)

3) dot'n'dab boarded.

I may end up having to remove a lot of the old plaster, if this weekend's experience is anything to go by. I took off some tiles, and a lot of the finish coat came with. The browning underneath was so soft that the brush from a regular domestic dustpan and brush could take it right back to the brickwork. :evil: :evil: :evil:

But at the moment it's still a working kitchen, and while I'm a big brave motorcycle rider, Mrs Sheds and #1 son are unaccountably squeamish about all the pots and pans etc being covered in fine layers of dust. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I would remove all dry and decaying plaster, if it's time to do it and "you are going to make a mess" take the opportunity to get it all done, in one hit.
Applying PVA to the walls to seal from dust should not be problem, when re-plastering, it will make the wall suction rates lower and the bonding agent in PVA will allow a bonding basecoat to be used and Dry wall adhesive can be used on low-medium and high suction walls, so should be no issues when it comes to plastering the walls/Dot'n'Dab.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back