Sealing Wooden cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was wondering if anyone could tell me the best thing to use to make wooden cladding waterproof. I am intending to put it in the bathroom and dont want it to bevel or rot through condensation or contact with water.

Would a good wax be suitable or simply a coat of good varnish??

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A 50:50 used engine oil/ creosote worked for my shed ! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Joking apart I would use varnish thinned 3;1 with thinners (if spirit based) and coat the wood all round before fixing giving it a couple of coats minimum. Cut to length first and make sure the end grain gets a good seal. Because it's thinned it will soak right in to the grain and will dry fast so you don't have to wait for days.
When up put a final coat or two (better) of neat varnish on, wire wool in between. If going for a gloss finish and it's "bitty"(dust settled), don't worry, lightly wire wool and then "T-cut" it back (that's why two coats of neat varnish). comes up a treat ! ! Best of luck

You could also have a look at the boat shop for yatch international paint as they're strong enough against sea water (not sure if it suitable)

I think Wickes do pvc cladding for bathroom but only in white I think?

Thanks for the replies. Think I will make life easy for once and go for the pvc option :)

Sponsored Links
Either chicken or lucky :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: ;) !
I swear that "She Who Must Be Obeyed" will find the easy way to do D.I.Y. and dismisses the idea straight away !!

For once Scoby she actually liked the idea of the pvc cladding. :p Ain't I lucky ;)

Are you sure she didn't mean pvc clothing :!: Anyway Scoby not listening,he's still drunk :!: ;) :) :) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back