Sebo X4 vacuum cleaner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Sebo x4 has stopped working and now appears to have no power at all. I have started trying to diagnose the issue with a multi-meter and get the following results when testing the power cable from plug to switch (or prior to switch):

20 ohms (approx) for one connection.
OL for all other connections.

This doesn’t seem right to me. I expected to get a low ohms reading for testing each of the live and neutral pins and OL for each pin when when testing the other wire at the switch end. Is that correct and, if so, what do the readings I get suggest?

Sponsored Links
Not clear what you are testing, but you should test for continuity between each plug pin and the wires at the switch inside the machine. All should be very low, 1 ohm or less.

The most likely fault is that the cable has failed internally, probably near the plug or near the handle of the machine.

I have one clip attached to the live or neutral pin at the plug end and the other to one of the wires in the handle (going into the switch). With this I expect to get a low ohm reading on one wire at the switch end and OL when attaching clip to the other wire at switch end. The same when switching the clip at the plug end and testing both wires at the switch end. So, a pair of low ohm readings and a pair of OL readings across the four combinations. Is that correct? If so, then I have this except for one combination when I get a higher ohm reading (about 20 ohms).

Testing in continuity mode I get a single beep for the 4 combinations tested when I think I should get 2 (one for live and one for neutral). I note my multi-meter only tests for resistance less than 100 ohms but I assume that’s not an issue. Can I assume there is a fault with the cable?

Sponsored Links
I have had 2 or 3 Sebo X4`s Vacs, were the moulded plug has gone open circuit( O/C) inside, chop it off with about 6 inches of the flex then bell it out again.
I have also changed a few Sebo on off switches as well, but the cable should read no more than a couple of ohms from one end to the other L to L and N to N of course.
And take into consideration the resistance of your test leads of course.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back