Second battery to help my half dead transit van

get it serviced change filter, use 5/30 oil check battery connections make sure they are nice and clean especially earth strap, also check timing if you need more info on timing let me know, also check what starter motor you have should be the big one as its more heavy duty than the smaller ones

Sponsored Links
oh well guys im still pulling my hair out with this van i feel like putting a baseball bat to it lol!!! I took the battery back to the scrap yard because i charged it all night and it was still dead so i thought id go and buy a nice big heavy duty battery which has cost me 80 quid put it on the van started no problems i thought that was the problem sorted it hasnt been no where since i put the battery on got in the van this morning the brand new battery was stone cold dead not even enough power to light the lights on the dash board itys draining somewhere but this is a 77amp battery what on earth could drain it to that extent ?? I havent left any lights on and the alarm has been disarmed the stereo has the face removed i just dont have a clew

It sounds like something is draining your battery, I.E. something is left on. It needs an ammeter test across the battery. If you don't have one or don't know how to do it, it might be time for a visit to an autospark.

I think that there must be a drain on the alternator or the starter motor because cant see where else the battery would be draining from if there is a drain from the alternator when the van is turned off would the alternator still charge the battery when it running ir would the alternator be scrap altogether

Sponsored Links
If you disconnect the battery before you put the van to bed at night, when you reconnect it in the morning, if it starts the van, the battery is ok and you have a drain, and if the battery is flat, then the battery is a duffer. But as it's a new battery, I think the chances are that something's sucking the life out of it.

im gonna charge it up tonight and put an ammeter on the battery in the morning to see if the alternator is charging that way at least i can get to work and then dissconnect the battery when i get there what should the battery be reading if the alternator is charging it about 14 volts?

You said you're going to put an ammeter on it to, check it's charging. Then you asked what the voltage should read.
I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway, volts and amps are not the same and are measured with different types of meters and using a different method.

ok, here's how to test your IOD (ignition off draw, the thing that flattens your battery)

take your multimeter, plug red lead into 10A socket. black lead into COM socket. set multimeter to 10A setting on control dial.

ignition off and keys out. doors closed and interior light off etc.

disconnect battery -VE lead. connect multimeter black lead to battery -VE. connect multimeter red lead to battery earth cable.

the reading on multimeter is how much current your van is drawing with everything off. can you post the results?

anything over 250mA you we will have to find problem.
if the meter goes really high then blows the fuse you have a serious problem.

hope to help
dave

As I remember it, you want to use the 0-200mA range because anything over 25mA is considered a high parasitic draw, that's a tenth of what Davieboy recommends. If you use the 0-10A range you might not see the deflection, unless of course your meter is digital.
Better to check the figures first though.

If you disconnect the battery before you put the van to bed at night, when you reconnect it in the morning, if it starts the van, the battery is ok and you have a drain, and if the battery is flat, then the battery is a duffer. But as it's a new battery, I think the chances are that something's sucking the life out of it.

Bang on ;)
If the rectifier diodes in the alternator have called it a day, they can conduct electricity back into the alternator causing quite a heavy drain. More common than people think! John :)

thanks for the reply guys no it hasnt got a tachograph ive got another problem now not sure if my van has caused this or not ? the brand new battery that was dead i have put on charge and it hasnt charged it is still dead and when I put the meter on the battery it is showing about 1 volt i bought it less than a week ago and i havent been anywhere at all inthe van and its dead but was fully charged when i bought it has the drain on the van caused the new battery to fail?

Sponsored Links
Back