Second hand sky box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have sky broadband at home and I have received a second hand sky box.can I get free channels if I connect the sky box to the phone line or do I need subscription?

Sponsored Links
To get the free channels, connect the box to a spare outlet on your dish, and get a viewing card from Sky.

The phone line is only used for what sky laughably call 'interactive services' - i.e. ways to extract more money from you.

I see, can i use the card that was already in the box (wihch has not been used for 6 yars)?

Sponsored Links
Mine works without a card. Have an old one in slot but still works without one.

Think some channels like Channel 5 may not work without card unless to program in the alternative Channel 5 broadcast. I had to look on free to air box and copy details to sky box.

A Sky box will work with no card at all, but the channel list is woeful.

The next step up is a Free-to-View card. This is a one-off payment of about £20 and opens up the Sky equivalent of the Freeview channel selection. Anything more requires a subscription.

The next most frequently asked question down this road is about the 'Plus' features; live pause, rewind, record and playback etc. Those features only work with a Sky monthly suscription to one of their TV packages. They aren't available with no card or the £20 Free-to-View card.

The next most frequently asked question down this road is about the 'Plus' features; live pause, rewind, record and playback etc. Those features only work with a Sky monthly suscription to one of their TV packages. They aren't available with no card or the £20 Free-to-View card.

Out of interest, why should this be, surely thats a function of your receiving hardware, not the service you subscribe to?

No, it's a service feature as far as Sky are concerned. It's the difference between making an outright purchase of a Freeview/Freesat PVR and renting a service where the receiving box has a stepped architecture to the feature list.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back