second story extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I own a 3 bed semi with attached garage which has been converted into a bedroom and kitchen extension. The mrs wants a second story building onto the top of the garage creating a second story. Was told to dig a test hole on corner of the garage which is a cavity wall. Brick and block... in doing this my and the son have gone below the water table. The house is lower than the road and the front drive slopes downwards to house. Been pumping the water out into my manhole for a few hours but it just fills back to same level..its clear water..will this take months to shift. Will take some pics later

Sponsored Links
Why are you digging that hole? Did the building control bloke tell you to?

Because my cousin who is a architect told me to do so, so to check the concrete footings are suitable for the second story...then to call building control to inspect.
Is that wrong?

Because my cousin who is a architect told me to do so, so to check the concrete footings are suitable for the second story...then to call building control to inspect.
Is that wrong?
No. It's typical/normal procedure when checking the suitability of foundations. Usually means two or more trial pits.

Sponsored Links
It's not wrong, but if the existing garage is part of a modernish house it will have the same foundations, or if the garage and or kitchen have been built or converted later then building control will have the foundation detail.

So the first step is to ask at the council if they have the details in their records.

Also, you need to have made the application before you can call the inspector out.

If your cousin wants to know for his plan drawing, then he should assume something one way or the other based on his experience. Otherwise you are left with a couple of holes full of water for months.

I've had my breakfast now. Just trying to save the OP from two holes for a few weeks, the back pain and some trenchfoot.

Hi thanks woody and all.. the house was built late 60s early 70s I guess.Dont know when the garage was converted. Did a quick check on line and couldn't find anything. So not a modern build. Everyone I've spoke to have said to dig a test hole past the footings and then give building inspector a call first before you make any kinds of planning application. So you think I should ring council and check for any info???

Last edited:
LA Building Control round here will have a nose down the hole and record their findings without putting a Notice in. But some Building Control's are more proactive than others.

Ok I'll continue to dig dig dig pump pump pump till I get to the footings and give building inspector a call as to know for sure that footing are suitable for second story before putting my plans in. How much does it cost for for them to come out to look? Read somewhere it's free but doubt that

So the mrs rang the bco on Friday just gone and was told since they've had nothing to do with original extension we'd have to get someone private in to check footings...
I emailed them myself yesterday and got the following in reply
You will need to contact a private contractor, architect or builder to do that for you as we will only inspect after a valid building regulations application has been made...

What you guys make of that

Last edited:
You was bang on woody.
So basically i had to put application in and pay all fees with drawings before any 1 will inspect the footings? Or is it more like a letter of intent with a fee?
Ian h...not far off mate...bolton council

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back