Secondary return with an already pumped system.

That's right Kevin, the pump would have to be in the branch off the loop.

Pumping into an unvented does work as well but you still need a secondary circuit. But would you need a pump with an unvented.

Sponsored Links
Doitall wrote

The booster would have to connect as a dead leg from the loop

This is meaningless without a diagram. (But I have just figured out what you mean :D ) The OP has already asked what a "check valve" is, so I wouldn't expect him to understand what you have wrote above or how the piping layout is arranged.
(And anyway it wouldn't work)

Doitall wrote

The booster would have to connect as a dead leg from the loop

This is meaningless without a diagram. (But I have just figured out what you mean :D ) The OP has already asked what a "check valve" is, so I wouldn't expect him to understand what you have wrote above or how the piping layout is arranged.
(And anyway it wouldn't work)

I know different.

Why do you think it wont work.

Send me an E if you want a drawing.

To do this the OP would have to site his negative head pump in the loft close to the outlets. So the suction side of the pump will not be flooded and will be in negative head position.
This plan won't work. Plain and simple. Sorry.
Manufacturers advise siting the pump close to the base of the cylinder!
There's a couple of important reasons for this!

Sponsored Links
Send me an E if you want a drawing.

don't think drugs will help with this :LOL: :LOL:

norcon your possibly right on this not working but only if the header is lower than the bathroom taps

if the cold header is higher then would gravity not keep the pipework full?

and the neg pump with unvented - yes in hindsight unvented would negate the need for the pump :oops: :oops:

To do this the OP would have to site his negative head pump in the loft close to the outlets. So the suction side of the pump will not be flooded and will be in negative head position.
This plan won't work. Plain and simple. Sorry.
Manufacturers advise siting the pump close to the base of the cylinder!
There's a couple of important reasons for this!

Don't be stupid, I was under the impression you may know a little bit about what was wanted, Obviously I'm mistaken.

The suction side has to be flooded or it wont work, it could be under the bath for example.

And siting a pump at the base of the cylinder is ideal, so if you know something that Stuart Turner doesn't perhaps you should spill the beans.

And Negative or Positive refers to the delivery, not the supply which must be in a flood position.

don't think anyone here is stupid! we are trying to find a solution to the OP's problem, by sharing ideas someone will come up with the way to do what is required
as I have suggested, this maybe possible with a header tank higher than any outlet
it is for the OP to tell us if this would be feasable, if it isn't then we can explore other ideas.

I will just reiterate my previous solution.

Fit the sec loop as usual and throttle the flow. You must maintain the pressure as it is a negative head system.
The pump is sited at the usual position. The base of the cylinder!
You could fit two valves and if the throttling doesn't work then fit the solenoid between the valves and just fit a timer to open the solenoid. Dead simple.
No extra pump needed and very little pipework involved.

kevendgas said:
I don't think anyone is being stupid

Read the above post.

Throttle the flow, as you must maintain the pressure.

How you going to do that on an open vented system

the pump is sited in the usual position at the base of the cylinder

You said that's not a good idea in an earlier post, and in any case you CANNOT use a booster pump as a secondary circuit pump.

Fit a timer to open the Solenoid

The mind boggles what you intend to do with that.

If you put a booster pump on an open vented cylinder return circuit, at best it will pump the water straight into the storage tank.

The Op has a negative head bathroom, with a negative head pump to supply it, he has asked if he can install a secondary circuit to save wasting water.

The answer is yes he can install a secondary circuit using a bronze pump, as would be normal, to overcome the negative head problem, he can re-connect the booster pump on a dead leg.

[/i]

Yes I said I wouldn't guarantee it.

Because the secondary circuit would have a low head.

What exactly is open vented about the discharge side of a negative head pump?

The cylinder is open vented, if you put a booster pump and connect it to a secondary circuit, at best it will pump the water out of the cylinder, into the storage tank

If you put a booster pump on an open vented cylinder return circuit, at best it will pump the water straight into the storage tank

Your getting there at last. :LOL:
(but not quite) The highlighted bit is the clue. ;)

How would pumping the water out of the cylinder be a good idea, I doubt the overflow would take it for starters

and in any case you CANNOT use a booster pump as a secondary circuit pump

Are you saying the OP's pump is incapable of returning flow to the cylinder?

Yes I am, as well as bloody dangerous

So where are you suggesting putting the booster pump. :confused:

You said run a return from the delivery side of the booster pump back to the cylinder.

Forget the solenoid for a minute, what do you think will happen if the booster pump blasts water at say 3bar back into the copper cylinder.

A bronze pump does not deliver anything, it's circulates the water around the circuit, if part of pipework is installed with a negative head it will not fill with water.

when you two have finished bitching between yourselfs :LOL: :LOL:

don't think anyone here is stupid! we are trying to find a solution to the OP's problem, by sharing ideas someone will come up with the way to do what is required
as I have suggested, this maybe possible with a header tank higher than any outlet
it is for the OP to tell us if this would be feasable, if it isn't then we can explore other ideas.

lets go back to the original problem.
if you start with a header in the loft above the height of the loft bathroom, then feed into the hot water cylinder located say on the first floor with a single check valve to stop backflow.

you then have a surrey flange fitted using the side takeoff for the return of your circuit .
at the same time bringing down a cold feed as well

you now have 2 flow (hot and cold) and 1 hot return from cylinder to loft bathroom
with a bronze circulator pump in the hot return

flow pipes now enters pump which has enough water (remember header position) and that then pumps water to bathroom taps

any reason this won't work ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back