secondhand laptops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hiya all i was thinking of buying a second hand laptop off ebay never owned laptop or pulled one apart.so id like some advice please on whats the best buys make wise are some more reliable ? are some makes difficult when it comes to changing graphic cards , hard disks,etc?. speed wise am i better with a intel centrinio, amd , or intel pentium , are some makes stronger built than others?. looked at some acer ones ? any way any buying tips on best makes welcome thanks

Sponsored Links
For not a lot of money now you can get a brand new laptop with 12months guarantee.

i would suggest you ask yur self this question.

Do you feel lucky?

well, do yah?

did he fire 5 or 6 shots?

seriously, why are they selling it?

mouse pad worn?, hardware on its last legs, slow processor?, i agree with spark123

yes but surely a slow laptop doesnt always mean hardware is hadit. yes but i could spend 500 pounds on new one and after a year its gone wrong? as i said i dont know nothing about laptops hence ? are some makes better easy to repair than others then? are some of the screens more prone to dead pixels?

Sponsored Links
suffolklad said:
yes but surely a slow laptop doesnt always mean hardware is hadit.
Don't even think about it.

yes but i could spend 500 pounds on new one and after a year its gone wrong?
Really quite unlikely, but if you're worried then take out an extended warranty.

as i said i dont know nothing about laptops hence ? are some makes better easy to repair than others then? are some of the screens more prone to dead pixels?
They're all horrible when they go wrong.

Ask yourself why you want the laptop and that will give you an idea of the spec. you require.

As previously mentioned, you take your chances. Favourite failures are Mouse pad, hard disk, optical drive and DC socket. None of the items are as cheap as their desktop equivalents and some items, such as replacement optical drives can be expensive and difficult to source. You won't be able to change things like graphic adaptors as they are all on-board.

Most domestic LCD panels are type B, and are "allowed" to have a certain number of dead pixels and yet be considered ok for sale. Look for laptops (or any other LCD device) with a grade A panel. These are manufactured to a very strict standard using high quality materials (reflected in the price).

That said, I use an Acer with a Centrino 1600 by way of processor. A little dated (3 years old) now perhaps, but then I only use the lappy for reports, Internet and diagnostics and the odd game of generals, which runs like a dog

Igorian said:
As previously mentioned, you take your chances. Favourite failures are Mouse pad, hard disk, optical drive and DC socket.
I concur.

And whilst hard disks are pretty cheap, screens and inverters aren't.

cheers thanks for that igorian and softus i will bear that in mind . but if i only pay under 100 pounds and it has a bad screen i could always take drives memory out flogg on ebay if they are as exstensive as you say cant see how i can loose . but i see so many on ebay people paying nearly same as new one which i wouldnt do . thanks i will tell you how i get on a learning curve if anything thanks

Hi

Unless you know what you are buying then I would advise against an ebay purchase. I have bought laptops from ebay and it gets messy when things don't turn out rosie.

I would avoid the Pentium 4 processors that often run hot and noisy. Make sure you get the original disks and COA. Look at the sellers feedback, returns policy and if they provide buyers protection through Paypal.

Bargains to be had but you have to be quick or know what you're buying on a poorly listed item.

HP, Sony, Acer & Dell all provide good sites for software/firmware upgrades and drivers.

You can get one of these for under £500 from HP. If you sign up for HP's Newsletter you will £40 discount on top.

;) Just as a comparable of course!

suffolklad said:
if i only pay under 100 pounds and it has a bad screen i could always take drives memory out flogg on ebay if they are as exstensive as you say cant see how i can loose
£100 is peanuts for a laptop, so you'd get a bunch of cr*p. Why do you think you could make anything from the sale of salvage parts from that!

...but i see so many on ebay people paying nearly same as new one which i wouldnt do.
The bottom line seems to be that you don't want to pay the going rate for a usable machine. :rolleyes:

have you been on ebay seen what people pay for parts? sometimes more than they cost new. im amazed at what people pay so what happens to the laptops when people upgrade each year , when they want a new op like vista you telling me they are all knacked after 12 months .

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

new laptops start at around rock bottom bog basic 350 so im hardly going to pay more than 100 for a second hand one am i . i only asked whats most reliable makes to start with

suffolklad said:
new laptops start at around rock bottom bog basic 350 so im hardly going to pay more than 100 for a second hand one am i.
I really don't see why not. The fact is that laptops in good condition hold their price very well. Perhaps you'd be happy with one in poor condition, in which case don't come bleating on the forum when it lets you down.

lol at spark yes poor guy and he paid 375 i thinki might just buy a new one lol and a second hand one just so i can get a nice full hard drive which would be fun lol . i would certainly buy a new one at 375. might just do that thanks spark softus ignorian for your advice

I run lap timing software at two racetracks, each track required a pentium 600 or above laptop to power the timing software, we found a seller on ebay who did Dell Latitide machines for about £150 [2 years ago] they were both 1000mhz p3's or thereabouts.

Due to limited finances, and the fact its am amatuer sport, we coudl not run to brand new units.

Anyway, 2 years on, they have both been 100% reliable, both run internet and various other progs and even a coupel of driving games!!, as well as the demanding lap timing software, they are fantastic little laptops that do exactly what you want. I have used them for website devolpment while my main pc was out of service, and we use one of them as a media center for MP3 etc.

The only downside I have found, is that battery life is low - but I dont use them on battery so that isnt really an issue, looking at ebay again, parts and batteries are reasonably priced for these units.

If I had a use for or a need to buy a used laptop, I would go for a Dell again.

Sponsored Links
Back