Sections removed from joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have just removed a shower cubicle from my bathroom (1960 property bathroom is over the integral garage).

On removing the shower tray, I could see that sections of 2 joists had been removed in order to fit it. From memory (I'm at work at the moment) the joists are about 2" x 6".

Where the shower was fitted the joists have been reduced to around half their original height from the wall end to about 36" into the room.

There are are pieces of wood about 2" x 3" nailed into the sides of the narrow sections - and extend 6" or so further than the narrow sections. (I think on both sides).

I was shocked to see this, is it a big problem? I will need to replace the bathroom floor anyway. Should I replace the joists? Is there a better way of strengthening the joist without removing the ceiling below?

I am concerned because the general workmanship is was appalling. I mean really bad.

Regards,

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back