Secure ladder against fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm keeping a gardening ladder outside, with hooks on a tall, sturdy wooden fence to hold it nice and out of the way.
We're in the country and it's not really visible from outside the property but just for form's sake I'd like to have some sort of lock on it. The far side of the fence is not accessible easily so what I want is some sort of attachment through the fence where all the fixings are on the far side, probably through one of the posts. Probably needs to be stainless.

But I can't for the life of me think what these things are called. I looked for "anchors" but only found screw-on ones. Suppose I could strip the screw heads but seems a bit crude.

What are these things called?

Sponsored Links
Pad lock and chain to ground anchor. If the chain looks strong and hard to defeat then the casual criminal is unlikely to try and steal it

That remains attached to ground ( concrete lump etc ) or wall. Often uses screws with a head that cannot be unscrewed with a special tool.

The chain threads through it and the ladder and is "locked" by a padlock.

Sponsored Links
The ball bearing anti tamper normally works by using a countersunk (sometimes not) Allen headed bolt.
Once fixed in place, you take the supplied ball bearing and use a hammer to whack it into the Allen hole.
Then there is often a plastic cover.

I see. Probably not what I'm after to go through a post then. I think what I want is an anchor plate that will take carriage bolts, so I can bolt it on the reverse and still have the freedom to remove it one day. But I can't seem to find one, either it has a different name or this is just an uncommon scenario.

Picked one up from Toolstation just now. It's the look of the thing really. You'd have to jump 3 low fences and cross our garden to get to it. I bet I end up not even locking it!

Picked one up from Toolstation just now. It's the look of the thing really. You'd have to jump 3 low fences and cross our garden to get to it. I bet I end up not even locking it!

Best if you lock it up because if it's used in a burglary your house insurance may reduce your pay out or even refuse to pay out at all.
There may be something in your policy details which insist these sort of things have to be stored securely.

We invested in a load of keyed alike padlocks so that makes it more likely I'll keep it locked that I'll always have the key on me :)

We invested in a load of keyed alike padlocks so that makes it more likely I'll keep it locked that I'll always have the key on me :)

Before me and my manager started in our present positions the previous manager invested in 200 quality padlocks for student lockers once the college opened. It was only after I started I was given a big, heavy cardboard box and told, "See if you can match any of those locks with the keys. Someone took all the keys off in case they went missing."
"Great!", I thought. "I'm a flaming engineer not a naughty apprentice." So I sat down comfortably and proceeded to match them up. After 5 successful matches in 5 tries I got suspicious. So I picked a few locks out and tried the same key in each one. Yep, he had bought 200 'keyed alike' sets. So Tommy/Fred/Sarah/Melanie, or anyone else could simply open any locker they wanted. What makes it worse, he bought the locks before the lockers were even ordered and the lockers that did arrive have the locks built in!
768 lockers and no two sets of keys the same. I know because I had to record the barrel numbers on a spreadsheet and where the locker is located. After I had finished the sheet I used the 'Find' function to check for duplicates and none appeared.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back