Securing Concrete roof tiles with Epoxy Cement/Resin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is this a recognised method of fixing or a cowboy repair?. I have a couple of Velux windows in my roof and i noticed that the tiles that were trimmed to fit around the windows did not have any Nubs to locate over the battens. I informed the contractor about my worries that the half tiles could possibly slip out. They came and fixed the problem by placing a few blobs of resin/cement between the vertical interlocking joints of the half tiles and the adjacent whole tiles. As far as i am aware the adjacent whole tiles are not mechanically fixed to the battens. Could any roofing experts out there please tell me if this method of glueing is acceptable or a cowboy lash up. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It may last or it may not, and it depends on the quality or type of adhesive used

We use slate hooks or similar to make sure the tiles don't slip

Thanks Woody, No idea what type of cement/resin was used. Just need to know if this is a building regs recognised way of securing tiles. If it isnt then I need to have the job done correctly.

unless the cut tiles were very small , say 50mm or less then there is no reason why they could not have been drilled and screwed or nailed the holes need to drilled at a slight angle away from the window so the screw will miss the side flashings.. thats provided the battens were trimed to the window properly..

Having the nibs knocked off is often required..this is not a problem in it's self

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply datarebal,
The tiles are approx 150mm wide so are still quite a size. My main worry is that the blobs of resin/cement (which by the way have cured rock hard so there is no flex in them) will fail due to temperature expansion/contraction and allow the possibility of a tile slipping out and possibly hitting somebody. If the correct way of securing Nibless tiles is drilling and screwing/nailing then I can insist that the contractors come back and redo them, but if securing them with blobs of resin or adhesive cement is also a proper method then I suppose that I will have to accept it. I just need to be sure what is acceptable and what is not before picking up the phone again.

p.s. forgot to mention, the house is a new build and the Velux windows were installed at the same time as the roof was tiled, so there was no reason not to mechanically fix the trimmed tiles if it was required.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back