Securing gate post to concrete post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had new concrete post and an aluminium gate post fitted but the builders didn't set the gate post plumb so it kicks out at the top, meaning, my gate catches the gate post at the top and is causing damage. Both posts are set into concrete.

I wanted to ask if there was a decent method of pulling the gate post up tight against the concrete post? I was thinking of putting a screw through the gate post but I'm worried it'll blow a hole in the concrete post. I'm wondering if a marine grade cold weld adhesive might work? Something like JB Weld?

IMG_20220611_123611.jpg

Sponsored Links
Bolting through the two posts has the best chance I would think, you will need an SDS drill for the concrete and HSS for the metal do it centre to avoid any rebar in the post. I think sticking it you will be on a hiding to nothing I'm afraid. Will the gate clear the head of a bolt? You may need to recess it somehow. Maybe source a countersunk bolt or simply use a coach bolt and nip a bit out of the gate.

There is a u-channel on the other side, so a bolt should be fine. I have all the relevant tools but I'm wondering what type of screw or bolt to use? Also I won't be able to get a wall plug in, so I'm wondering if a bolt will actually get any grip in the concrete post itself.

That's why I suggest bolting right through the concrete, with a nut on the other side.
This sort of thing.
Drilling from the concrete through to the alli will hide any blowing of the concrete behind the alli.

Sponsored Links
Not sure I follow. Are you suggesting I drill through the post entirely and have a nut on the exterior? If so, that would be unsightly as the post is visible on both sides.

AFAIK the only solution to your problem is to put a metal Strap around both poles. Clamp up tight before the strap is put on.

If you try drilling the concrete post with a hammer or SDS drill you are extremely likely to shatter it. A non-hammer action is still likely to break the post up.

AFAIK the only solution to your problem is to put a metal Strap around both poles. Clamp up tight before the strap is put on.

If you try drilling the concrete post with a hammer or SDS drill you are extremely likely to shatter it. A non-hammer action is still likely to break the post up.
That's my concern too. Could I go down the JB weld route?

stand back and take a wider pic showing the whole portal and posts.

I think it could be done using deformation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back