Securing new shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I'm about to secure my new shower tray, which is acrylic backed ABS finish, onto 'No More Ply' backer boards.
This is a link for the actual tray
http://www.mx-group.com/products/shower-trays/all-shower-trays/1200x900-lh-optimum--flat-top-ulg/

My query is.... What's the best way to secure it??
Cement based tile adhesive, silicone or sand/cement?

The tray isn't very heavy at all so will need weighing down.

I did try a mortar mix but it didn't work very well.

Any help or advice is much appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick reply. The adhesive I got for the tiles is a cement based one suitable for wet areas (including swimming pools) so I presume it's extremely waterproof. Would this work?

Sponsored Links
You are bedding tray to a wooden surface, so my preferred choice would be the use of a flexible compound, to address any material movement, this will hopefully prevent damage to tray and damage to bedding bond.

Other opinion may differ, just out of interest what to the manufacturer instruction say?

The instructions say :

Use installation compound adhesive or a suitable adhesive to cover the full area under the shower tray. Apply or trowel to a thickness suitable to allow full adhesive support of the shower tray
Note! Always follow the instructions supplied with an adhesive and do not glue the bottle trap or flexi pipe in position.
7. Place the shower tray onto the wet adhesive ensuring that it is fully supported. Check the level of the top rims only as the shower tray has a built in fall for adequate drainage
Note! Ensure tray is fully stuck down, weight down if necessary, to ensure level and good contact.
8. Remove any excess and allow adhesive to set.

Well it is always advisable to follow manufacturers instructions, as this would not invalidate any guarantee that comes with the tray.

I am not saying that a low strength cement mortar mix or a non-flexible adhesive cannot be used, just it would be my personal choice on a wooden floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back