securing steel pole to catnic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

I have a upvc french door set comprising a double glazed door in the middle and a side pane either side of the door. I think both the door and side panels are screwed into concealed metal props between the door and the side panes. This is on the rear wall of the property which is a double brick wall. I'm guessing that the props were secured to timber plates at the top and bottom of the opening in the brickwork.

I am planning to have a kitchen extension done and want this double glazing taken off and re-used on rear wall of the kitchen extension. The surveyors plans show the new wall as a cavity wall with a catnic above the door.

So can the props be screwed somehow to the catnic ? Or will there have to be timber plate in between that is fixed to the sides of the opening in the wall ?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Photos would help.

Usually a common configuration is that the joints are either re-enforced or not, but not attached at the top or bottom. But you can get versions with a load late and jacking elements, in something like a bay.

Thanks swwils, attached a couple of pics. Not sure if they help. You can see there’s a trim to cover the joint between the side pane and door

So you are saying that the props are basically held in place simply by the force of jacking up and friction at top and bottom ?

Attachments

• 821F65FA-7BB8-4116-891D-3FCA4B2140AC.jpeg
    821F65FA-7BB8-4116-891D-3FCA4B2140AC.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 6BCC7264-873A-4D18-A50D-D1B0CC9523BA.jpeg
    6BCC7264-873A-4D18-A50D-D1B0CC9523BA.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
You shouldn't have any problem drilling into the catnic, punch it first, start off with a small pilot drill and progress larger as needed.

I would be surprised if that set of doors is anchored to the lintel already, with
I looked at a neighbours new bay window, that had aluminium box section running vertically inside the end sections (like a prop), these merely rested on the bottom brickwork, and had 4x2 wood on top as wall plate for the roof.

Post more pics when you uncover the fittings.

You may be able to use some medium/heavy duty angle brackets to secure the top, depending on internal decoration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back