Door ideas for a 3.8M opening!

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to build an extension later this year, which has a "wall" of glass.

The drawings show 2 sets of double doors with a fixed glazed panel between in an opening which is 3.8M long by 2.1M high.

Its not very inspiring so have been trying to think of other door formats? Have considered folding doors but feel that they take up a lot of space when open, not a great fan of sliding doors either!

I had though of a single set of doubel doors but over sized with a fixed glazed panel at each end - say doors of 1.1m wide, which would leave a panel of 0.8M at each end.

plan is to have them made out of timber so not sure if this is too big a door without having a think frame, whic his something we would like to avoid.

Anyone with any inspirational ideas?!

Sponsored Links
I know you dont like em but a 4 pane patio fixed panes at each end and a pair of sliders in the middle sliding outwards

Im actually a fan of bi-folds and IMO this type of door goes hand in hand for that type of opening, why have a wall of glass say yet only have half the width opening i.e. pair of french doors or a pair of inline sliders?

You say bi-folds take up too much room, i disagree, you can configure them so the doors fold outwards or inwards, whichever suits best and then they'll fold flat to one side and then leave you with a full width opening

Have considered folding doors but feel that they take up a lot of space when open,

3.8m opening 4 doors at 45mm to 75mm wide = around 200mm to 300mm or 0.200to 0.300 from 3.8 or leaving an opening off 3.5m or around 6 % off the width

Sponsored Links
Folding doors, take up very little room, don't know why you would think otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back