securit 800L + control panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have a C&K security 800L+ alarm system which after a power off is no longer working.
With mains switched back on light indicator on the keypad is not lit even though there is 12v at the keypad. The battery in the main panel is holding a charge ok as is the battery in sounder at rear of house. The battery in sounder at front of house I haven't checked as its a bit difficult to access and I really don't think that's the problem anyhow. When I key in access code I get the bleeps as I press buttons and button lights come on. After a few seconds the lights go out as normal but alarm hasn't set. Taking covers off doesn't set off alarm so a break in tamper circuit isn't switching alarm on either.
What do you think chaps, is there a corruption to the program ? can I reprogram ? I haven't a clue, help please !!!!
Cheers Keith.

Sponsored Links
Down power mains and battery , then repower mains only , enter code to stop , box up , reset , if all ok ....go and get a replacement battery for the control panel .....

Please humor an old fella, how old is your battery? Please, pretty please :)

Sponsored Links
The battery in control I replaced in October 2010, so 6 1/2 years old. The original battery was 9 years old being replaced with an identical battery, ie same make and spec. The batteries in the two sounders have never been replaced so are approx 15yrs old. Something I didn't do before which I admit I should have was to hang my meter across the battery in the control panel with A/C supply on, reads 13.74v then unplugged A/C o/p from transformer, reading drops immediately to 10v and continues to decline fairly slowly. I suppose its likely I need another new battery. I just hope the load on battery isn't too high and there's a problem elsewhere. Would the batteries in the two sounders draw on main battery in the control panel I suppose they would ? Starting to think changing the three batteries would be the best option.
The thing that threw me was the 12v present in the keypad yet the main present light wasn't lit !!

Any more thoughts chaps. Thanks Keith.
PS I'm an old fart too :cry:

Control panel batteries should be replaced every 4 to 5 years, unless found to be faulty earlier. Yours is showing classic signs of a slow death, past the time for a change.

Your outside sounders should have a battery each, the easiest way to test these, from the control panel is to remove one leg of the 12v hold off voltage going to the sounder, it/they should sound, if not it's ladder time. Bright new boxes might not be a bad idea at this time, make them stand out more.

Are you sure you have 2 sounders, usually it would be 1 sounder and 1 dummy sounder.

Have fun.

Yes they're both sounders, as an electrician myself, ( though not one with any experience of house alarms obviously ) I installed the system myself.
Funny story, many years ago my neighbour installed an alarm system, it was the only house in the street with an alarm. Not long after he had a break in, turns out he had a problem with a reed switch so alarm wasn't armed. He had fitted sounder on front of house and burglar came in the back, which is accessed from another street. We guessed intruder didn't know of the alarm. Hence my having sounders front and back. To add to the irony neighbour was also the first to have a break in !!
You recon control panel batteries are best replaced every 4/5 years, what about the sounder batteries any idea how long they last, they're a different type aren't they ?
Thanks again for any info, Keith.

Sounder batteries are usually a different sort of battery than the one for your panel.

The sounder ones today are mostly mounted on a PCB with all the controls for the sounder/strobe, just do a test of a minute or two as I described, if sounding the same for the lenght of the test, all ok.
If the sound begins to quickly diminish, time to replace I'm afraid.

Followed instructions posted by sparkymarka and am now ordering new battery.
Thanks for all your input chaps.
Keith.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back