Securitech Active 5 alarm, help with changing batteries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping someone can help us! Recently moved in to a house with the above alarm system, which we have the code for. However, when the power goes off, the alarm sounds and we are unable to turn it off. This suggests that the battery is dead. Unfortunately the system has been wired into the ring mains! (All up and down sockets except the kitchen). We had to do some urgent work so needed to turn the power off.
We have the engineer and user guides, so decided to take off the front panel to go about replacing the battery. As expected this set off the tamper alarm, however the code would not turn it off. In the end we snipped the wires to the SAB and battery to silence it for the sake of our poor neighbours!
I am wondering about whether it's possible / a good idea to attempt to fix the alarm system by soldering the snipped wires and changing the batteries (internal box and outside unit). Am I right in thinking what we have done would effectively be a factory reset (this can usually be done using a jumper link, according to the engineer manual)?
If we do fix and replace batteries, is the alarm likely to continue straight away or should I be able to program according to the engineers manual? Any help appreciated, complete novice here as you can tell!

Sponsored Links
It should have turned off did you try 1234 default code ? To be honest it’s going to be 25-30 years old , time to upgrade ..
This did cross my mind however replacing batteries would be a lot more cost effective if its possible to do so, as we are currently spending lots on renovating the house

Sponsored Links
And from past experience when people renovate properties the alarm is always an afterthought….be careful on the active 5 putting the front back on as the plastic around the screw holes tend to snap off if you over-tighten the screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back