Security glazing tape

27 Feb 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Hi. Just a quick question regarding replacing misted up units into hardwood frames. I am about to order some security glazing tape using the dry glazing method. The tape comes in 2,3,4mm etc. thicknesses and compresses about 20%. What should be the ideal mm gap between glass and frame when fitted. I can then work out which thickness to buy after accounting for the compression. It is hard to judge the current gaps as some are minimal and some are quite big. Obviously fitted by different people over the years as some are siliconed in and some bedded in putty. Any advice appreciated.
Sponsored Links
is there no beading?

how deep is the rebate, and how thick the sealed unit?
Sponsored Links
you mean 12mm plus the 20mm unit? sounds like plenty.

I am not a glazier, but when I used an adhesive foam security tape, it hardly compressed at all (you can't compress it all round at the same time). I then used a hardwood bead which I thought looked nice.
Thanks for the reply John. Sorry for the delay. Have had tonsillitis from hell. I'm still not sure which thickness tape is the best one to go for. Not sure what the ideal gap should be between inside face of glass and frame. May just go for 2mm.
I think I used 2mm because I thought it looked neat. I don't know if there is a reason for thicker.
That's what I couldn't understand. I'm thinking too that 2mm will look neater.Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links