security light wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a novice at this. Am putting up a polaris security light (movement detector for night-time).
All the wiring is in place coming from the house.
There are two cables coming out the external wall. One cable, which looks like it comes from the mains, has yellow/green, blue, and brown wires which obviously go to the relevant Earth, Neutral and Live connections in the lights terminal block. (the block has LS / N / E / L)
The second cable has two red wires in it. I have traced it back to a 'switch' just inside the house.
Can anyone tell me 1) to which connection do these wires from the second cable go ? 2) Am I correct in presuming this 'light switch' basically turns the light on manually when required ?
appreciate any help

Sponsored Links
Your brown cable should be live, this should be connected in a separate connection block to one of the red switch wires.
The second red switch wire will then go to L terminal.
The blue to 'N' neutral terminal on fitting.
All cpc/earths to earth termina.l

Thanks, but I need some clarity on this.
I'm pretty confident re the first cables' wires. --- Brown to Live , Green/yellow to Earth, and blue to neutral.
The second cable has 2 red wires. Exactly to which terminal connections do these go to . Anyone ?

the first response was the correct response.

The cable with two reds is the switch wire, you need to connect the live (brown from cable one) to one of these reds then the other red to Live on your lamp

If you connect brown / blue / green-yellow to the L N E connections your light will stay on 24/7 (PIR dependant)

Sponsored Links
NO! (not you Iggifer)
Brown which is your live supply connected to one of the reds to the switch, in connection block(you may have to purchase one of these) on it's own with nothing else and to nothing else.
The second red which then comes from your switch (live when switch is closed) is connected to the live terminal (L) of fitting.
Neutral blue to 'N'
all CPCs/earths to to 'E'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back