Security light with PIR problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a security light fitted outside my house alleyway and it as been been working perfectly up untill last night . I noticed that it what staying on all the time so i just turned it off at the wall switch and left it off overnight . I have checked to see if there was any muck on the sensor and that nothing was causing it to stay on all the time . I checked the manuall that i got with the light and it says to turn it back to auto switch off at the wall light for a minimum 10 secs then turn back on , to overide auto, switch off and on within two secs . I have tried to get it back to auto but no luck . The unit is only a 6 weeks old so i cannot expect the sensor to have give up . I dont have the receipt but i got it from a well known diy store .It only cost a tenner so is it a case of you get what you pay for or is there something i am not doing correct in order to get the sensor to work , any help would be apreciated thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks , you couldnt recomend one that might last more than 6 weeks could you .

no :cry:

i would however suggest separate ones, i.e this pir and that light.

I find this very reliable. i have at least one that is 4 years old, still working fine.

costs almost as much as your whole one did :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply , do i use the exsisting light terminal block to run a cable from that to the seperate pir . Thanks

As breezer says a seperate sensor is usually more reliable.
If you want you can still reuse your old light with it .just connect different inside it, to not use the faulty sensor.
Although one with no sensor is only about £5 I think.

You can even remove the faulty sensor to make it look neater.

you would normally wire into the sensor, then from the sensor to the light.

you could leave the light how it is wired and take a 3core and earth from the light to the sensor and series up the wires within the fitting.

Thanks for the input , i think i will just replace my old unit and purchase a decent one . Just checked my old bank statements and i only paid £8.45 so i suppose in my case it was what i paid for .

is there a wf or a newey/ eyre nearby
There professional model is quite good
About 25 pound I think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back