SECURITY LIGHT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to install a security light, just wondering best way to do this?
The security light is only going to be about 5 metres away form the fuse baord and cable is relatively easy to install (what cable to use for this?). Is it best to install a fused switch unit for this, could this be taken stright off the down stairs lights circuit breaker? or is it best to go off a spare breker and use a plug and socket?

any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
1.5mm twin and earth sounds good to me, clipped to a switched fused spur, then out to the light would be ok. (I say a switched spur because some security lights stay on if switched twice, or they will come on if switched off and on again.)
If you have a 'spare way' in the consumer unit then I would use it, it will be easier for you to test, rather than testing your existing lighting.
Hope this is of some help.

Ed.

Thanks for your advice, the only spare breaker in the consumer unit is 16A, so what options do i have?

run 2.5 to a switched FCU the 1.5 to the light.
bear in mind twin and earth should not be used outside (so if you must, come out directly beind the light with twin and earth, or from the FCU use artcic blue flex)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back