Security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to install an external solar powered security light. I'm looking for

a) how bright they are (how does one compare "superbright LEDs"?)
b) how efficient the solar generation is

http://www.powerbee.co.uk/solar-security-lights/signaller-pro-ii-solar-security-light.html 2 x 56 superbright LEDs

http://www.maplin.co.uk/80-led-solar-floodlight-with-pir-385017 80 bright LEDs

So I guess my questions are
1) has anyone any personal experience of either of these (or a similar product? or
2) any electricians/experts know what specs I can use to pin down the difference between these?

Sponsored Links
Security lighting, at night and solar powered :LOL:

So it woould need to be moon light solar then :eek:

Maybe that's why it has a "Powerful replaceable rechargeable battery pack (12V,7Ah) ensures all year round operation"

No.

"moon light solar" is a contradiction of terms....." :rolleyes:

Now, any helpful suggestions out there....?

Sponsored Links
"moon light solar" is a contradiction of terms....." :rolleyes:
Moon light is solar light reflected by the moon. Plus a bit of earth light reflected back

Look at the size of the solar panels on road side signs that light to to say Slow Down and look how much light is produced by the sign and for how long the lights are on when they are triggered. Some have had to have small wind turbines added to ensure there is enough power.

Yes you can have solar power security lighting but you will need a large panel and very highly efficent light sources.

[quote="Mike_e";p="2374455
Look at the size of the solar panels on road side signs that light to to say Slow Down and look how much light is produced by the sign and for how long the lights are on when they are triggered. Some have had to have small wind turbines added to ensure there is enough power.

Yes you can have solar power security lighting but you will need a large panel and very highly efficent light sources.

Fair point, but they probobly have cars passing regularly triggering them.

This would only be very intermittantly triggered.

How large is "large"...? And"highly efficient?" like...the sun?
I guess one has to find out how much charge the battery holds, how much light is needed to fully charge, and how many (say) one minute events it would support on a full charge.

But as they don't tell you that stuff.....

But as they don't tell you that stuff.....

They are sales people and not engineers.

You have to get the data sheets for several panels, several types of re-chargeable batteries and the lights, Then get accurate information about how much solar radiation ( sun light plus other energy creating radiation such as ultra violet that the panels accept) and good estimates of how long and how often the lights will be needed to be lit.

Then it is possible to start to design the system to meet your requirments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back