Solar security light

Sponsored Links
Compare the size of the solar panel in these fittings with the size of the solar panels used to power traffic signs which only need to illuminate a LED sign for a few seconds at a time.

My feelings ( and some experience ) are that these solar security lights will not give bright illumination for more than a few minutes per night and even less if there was no bright sunlight the day before.

Sponsored Links
With large solar panels the MPPT or PWM regulator extracts the maximum power over an extended time but with small panels the quiescent current means these are not an option.
power-curve.png
The diagram shows the problem although this is for 12 volt not 3.6 volt it shows how with the standard regulator the charge time is very limited.

A friend had a solar panel for his Iphone which while working abroad worked very well but in the hills of Wales was a complete failure. Shadows cast by buildings, hills and trees can so change what the panel can produce there can't be a one size fits all answer.

Paying £20 for whole kit when the regulator would cost £8 means it can't really be expected to use PWM regulation and with NiMh AA batteries neither will there be any ΔV charging so to stop over charging the charge rate must be quite low.

I am sure there will be places where they will work but it will be limited and in Winter you will likely need to charge batteries.

The one I looked at says 8 hours for full charge and 25 seconds per activation so without the solar panel it should last some weeks and swapping batteries once a week is not too bad I suppose?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back