security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Silly idea i know , but this is what i would like to potentially do!! In esssense i would like to (at night or when away for the weekend hols etc) at the flick of a switch set an internal light (say bathroom) to come on by way of PIR detection at main gate of property, and on my return flick of switch and light is back to internal normal switch on wall use.

Plenty of ways in my CU so could dedicate to say bedroom light.

Reason!!, I believe this would be a decent detterent to anyone dodgy about to enter my "empty" premises.

Running cables internally externally no problem as place is all stripped.

Russell

Sponsored Links
No a silly idea at all. I did something similar for a mate. Simple job. I used a wireless PIR similar to one of these, with the switch inside the airing cupboard. No walls to chase out, no external cables to run, half a day job including time for tea and biscuits. It will need to be wired into the same circuit as the lights, so all connections nearby anyway.

Here are some sketches to assist. Apologies for the use of the old wiring colours, as I don't know what colours you have, I thought it would be the simplest.

Existing Installation

Option 1 with Changeover switch to allow selection of normal light control, or PIR control

Option 2 Alternative version. Here the bathroom light will work as normal all of the time, with just the PIR being selected on or off.

Another "thief defeater" is to have the outside lights turn OFF when an intruder is detected. This helps to dis-orientate the intruder and makes it harder for him or her to find an entry point.

An inside light coming on a few seconds after the outside lights have reacted to the intruder adds to the effect. A sequence of delayed bedroom light then a few more seconds before the landing light comes on will make all but the most determined criminal think twice about breaking in.

Sponsored Links
Reason!!, I believe this would be a decent detterent to anyone dodgy about to enter my "empty" premises.
Excellent idea.

There isn't one burglar in the country who isn't bright enough to realise that when nothing happens as a result of a light coming on as he approaches a house which he's worked out is empty then it's automatic. It's a well known fact that burglars know nothing of PIRs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back