Hallway lights with switch at either end of hallway and PIR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a hallway with lights that switch on / off at either end of hallway.
A PIR with timer I recently fitted bypasses the switches and operates the lights.
This works really well.

If either hall switch is flicked the lights stay on permanently until either wall switch is moved to break the circuit.

However there is no easy way to know whether the circuit is active because of the PIR or the wall switches.

What I want is a LED ( or other small light ) light on one of the wall switches that shows that the wall switches circuit is active.

Anyone know how to do this ?

Thanks

Ke z

Sponsored Links
I don't think it is as straight forwards as that - if you try to connect an indicator directly to the switch it will be back fed by the PIR hence won't work.
You basically need to have a dry set of contacts for the indicator for example by using the switches to operate a double poled relay, one pole for the lights and the other pole for the indicator.

Thanks to everyone for replies.

How would I usefully use a L,N and E from PIR load side to show this indication ?

How would I implement a dry set of contacts ?

Sponsored Links
if the PIR has L and N after its operation it will let through energy, this can be simply recorded through any indication you prefer, if it is seperate from the wall plate switching.

And - to have an indicator at the switch(es) you will require a Neutral and some electronics to prevent back-feed from the PIR.

so, you want to know when the lights are energised but not by the 2 way switching? how would you like it to indicate and why?

Also - there is a visual way to tell if the switches are working the light.

If wired 'properly' then if

both switches are up or down the light is off

switches in opposite position the light is on.

so, you want to know when the lights are energised but not by the 2 way switching? how would you like it to indicate and why?
The other way round, I think.

He wants to determine (say, when he goes to bed) that the light will go out when the PIR times out and not stay on all night because one of the switches is on.

Could get timer switches as well, I suppose.

Here's how it is wired up
View media item 51631
Yes - so I can reliably know the wall switches will be off when I go to to bed and won't be on all night

Thanks for all the replies folks...

You will still need to know if the two way switches are ON or OFF unless you are prepared to wait until the PIR times out. If the PIR times out and the lights remain ON then you will have to change one of the switches otherwise the lights will remain ON even though the PIR has turned OFF.

And if you are in the hall way waiting to see if you need to change one of the switches to turn the lights out then you will probably re-trigger the PIR.

Without at least one relay and two indicators you are not going to get a "user friendly" solution.

Simplest way may be to put one lamp on the PIR and the other two on the two way switching if that provides enough light.

Thank for all the replies.

Does anyone know where I can buy a simple to use current activated switch that will sit in the wall partition ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back