security lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi.i have security light with pir sitting on out side wall very close to boiler flue.problem is smoke keeps triggering it on all the time.i have decided to replace it with separate pir further away from flue and leave light where it is at the presant.first of all i would like to know how to connect new pir to old light.could i use same light if existing pir is terminated or its worth buying new bulk head possibely new energy saving one.i need better quality pir,so any brand suggestion.thanks

Sponsored Links
Buy a low energy bulkhead and ditch the old light.

It will be easier than trying to wrestle with disabling the PIR in the old light.

Buy a low energy bulkhead and ditch the old light.

It will be easier than trying to wrestle with disabling the PIR in the old light.
thanks.old light is controled from inside kitchen by single light switch.how to wire pir to the new bulk head.i would apriciate for diagram please.any recomendations on good quality brand.

Didn't your PIR come with a wiring diagram.??

Live and neutral to the PIR
Switched live and neutral from the PIR to the lamp. It cannot be easier, really.

Sponsored Links
Saleem, yes you can retain the existing light fitting and simply disable its sensor. Then you can wire from there to the new PIR position using 3 Core&E cable (or preferaby black-sheathed 4-core flex if clipped externally in full sun). This isn't such a difficult task.

Bear in mind that if you replace the fitting with an 'energy saving' bulkhead, that the remote sensor will have to be compatible with such lamps (some PIR's are not).

Moreover, there's little point to fitting a cfl lamp to a timed PIR, because it won't be on long enough to save energy and most of its time would be in the 'warming up' process to attain full brightness.

Any 'standalone' PIR will do you for this. Approximate cost £9 - £12.

It really isn't difficult to disable an inbuilt sensor and to replace it with a remote sensor.....

Lucia.

Saleem, yes you can retain the existing light fitting and simply disable its sensor. Then you can wire from there to the new PIR position using 3 Core&E cable (or preferaby black-sheathed 4-core flex if clipped externally in full sun). This isn't such a difficult task.

Bear in mind that if you replace the fitting with an 'energy saving' bulkhead, that the remote sensor will have to be compatible with such lamps (some PIR's are not).

Moreover, there's little point to fitting a cfl lamp to a timed PIR, because it won't be on long enough to save energy and most of its time would be in the 'warming up' process to attain full brightness.

Any 'standalone' PIR will do you for this. Approximate cost £9 - £12.

It really isn't difficult to disable an inbuilt sensor and to replace it with a remote sensor.....

Lucia.
thanks.you have mentioned black-sheathed 4-core flex,is it a speical flex such as heat -resistent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back