Security light not turning off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a separate security light/pir sensor and all of a sudden, it's not turning off.

Nothing has happened (ie bulb blowing, power cut or anything like that) that might have caused a problem - it's just decided to come on and stay on.

Is it likely that the pir has malfunctioned and needs replaced?

Sponsored Links
We've got a separate security light/pir sensor and all of a sudden, it's not turning off. ... Nothing has happened (ie bulb blowing, power cut or anything like that) that might have caused a problem - it's just decided to come on and stay on. ... Is it likely that the pir has malfunctioned and needs replaced?
Are you sure that it hasn't got into a 'manually on' mode, perhaps due to a very brief (fraction of a second) power cut?

If you have a switch or isolator which controls the light/PIR, try turning it off, leave it off for a short period (anything more than 10-15 seconds) and then back on. If you do that, the light may immediately come back on and stay on for it's timed period (whatever that is set to) before going off - so don't immediately assume that it hasn't worked!

If that doesn't work, you probably need a replacement PIR.

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure about a manually on mode :confused: I tried switching it off at the isolator, left it, switched it back on and waited - it didn't go off. I've had to just switch it off altogether just now cos it was shining right into the bedroom.

I'm not sure about a manually on mode :confused: I tried switching it off at the isolator, left it, switched it back on and waited - it didn't go off. I've had to just switch it off altogether just now cos it was shining right into the bedroom.
It sounds as if you probably need a new PIR then.

Many PIRs have a built in 'manually on' ('over-ride') mode. To implement that, you switch it off (with isolator or whatever) and then immediately back on (within a second or so) - and that makes the light come on permanently until you switch it off. As I said, things like very brief power cuts can emulate that rapid off-on switching and therefore put it into that mode. However, it sounds as if you have excluded that as a possible cause of the problem.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. I'll check it again. I switched it off at the isolator and I've not had a chance to get a new one yet but maybe I switched it on too quick when I tried testing it, so I'll do it again and see.

Originally, it was off and I went out and it didn't switch itself off again.

Ahh I left the security light switched off and hadn't got round to getting a new PIR but I thought I'd check it again - and lo and behold, it worked.

Now it's just malfunctioned again :confused: so I guess I'd better go and get that new PIR.

Ahh I left the security light switched off and hadn't got round to getting a new PIR but I thought I'd check it again - and lo and behold, it worked. ... Now it's just malfunctioned again :confused: so I guess I'd better go and get that new PIR.
Hmmm - it does sound a bit iffy, I agree :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back