Security lights and CU

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have spare capacity in my Consumer Unit and am changing my security light configuration. Can the security lights be wired directly into a 6a mcb in the CU?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the power of the lights, a 6a breaker is only good for about 1350W or so, it'll also need RCD protection depending on how the cable is going to be installed.

And you'll need to notify your local authority before starting the work as you are adding a new circuit to your consumer's unit.

See WIKI for details.

Sponsored Links
a 6a breaker is only good for about 1350W or so.
That will be more than enough to help even the most visually impaired burglar to see what he's doing. People often make the mistake of thinking that they need to provide really bright lights to assist criminals, when in fact a few hundred watts will amply light the way for them.

why not place all your valuables in your car. Park it under the new light, with the keys in the ignition. That should make the burglars job easier. After all, you don't want the burglar prosecuting you for failing to adequately light his working environment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back