Security outside lights that come on with movement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some outside lights that come on with movement.

I am told some are good, some are bad and some are very bad.

Could someone please advise me on some good ones.

Thanks
JamesEB

Sponsored Links
Passive Infra Red ( PIR ) sensors are very good at detecting movement across the sensor and poor at detecting motion towards the sensor.

Some low cost items have very shirt life spans and can fail within a year.

Failiure of a sensor in a combined lamp and sensor unit often requires the entire lamps and sensor unit to be replaced even though the lamps and its holder are still functional.

My recommendation is a Steinel sensor http://www.steinel.de/en/Sensors/Motion-Detectors/IS-180-2-Black.html which can be bought from TLC and other suppliers.

Then you can choose lamps to suit the location(s) where you want light. The sensor can be placed elsewhere for best detection.

The only down side of using separate lamp(s) and sensor(s) is the need for some extra wiring.

Not knowing your requirements or layout of your property it is difficult to advise confidently.

For reliability & quality all in one you would have great difficulty in finding better, www.gjd.co.uk

There are so many variables available, have a good read.

GJD have been around for years & know what they are doing, not cheap but this equipment would be a case of 'buy once'

if its for background light to see where your going and you have light fitting already in place leaving say 3x3w led bulbs on for 10 hrs a day will cost about 7-12p a week dependent on unit costs
this will cost less to install than active sensor at around £2-3 a bulb

Sponsored Links
I admit to knowing nothing about this.

It’s to light up intruders.

I need one over the garage, one at the back and one at the front.

The people who told me to get them said to be sure to get LED and they just fixed on and did not need wiring

Thanks for help
JamesEB

With the low running costs of LEDs and the cost of reliable motion detectors it can be cost effective to have the lights on all the time. Turning lights off when intruders are detected and thus leaving them in sudden and dis-orientating darkness can be a better deterent than providing them with light to help them break in.

noisy gravel
flimsy noisy trellice on top off fences
open well lit areas with little or no cover
deter burglars more than lights that the home owner wont even notice when they go on or off

Thorny, Spikey, Intruder Proof Hedging is good, if the intruders have to escape through it they will bear the marks for weeks. And leave DNA traces on the thorns that would be evidence of them being there

The only good outside lighting does at 03:00 is to light up an area to help someone, good or bad, to do what they want.

As a deterrent, forget it, there is no one around at that time waiting and watching for something to happen.

The only good outside lighting does at 03:00 is to light up an area to help someone, good or bad, to do what they want.

As a deterrent, forget it, there is no one around at that time waiting and watching for something to happen.
Not strictly true as you previously recommended GJD and their gear can alert the homeowner of a PIR/light trigger by means of a control panel. Whether or not the homeowner can be bothered to get up or even wake up is their problem though. When coupled with CCTV that records the area at the same time and can be viewed via a monitor next to the bed things become a little easier.

Thanks everyone for most interesting help.

I do need the LED ones without wiring if someone could please suggest some good ones.

JamesEB

I do need the LED ones without wiring if someone could please suggest some good ones.

I haven't found a "good" battery powered security light. If it is bright then the battery life will be short. or it will need a battery the size of a house brick.

Mr.Beams security lights always get decent reviews, never used one myself though so can comment https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B015W684XQ/ref=twister_B01HFKDLF8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 is an example but there are different models. The one here can be networked wirelessly with others to create zones. etc.

Thanks and these look very good. Not knowing anything about it they look a bit more substantial than I thought.

Do they have some whistles and bells I maybe don't need?

I just need LED ones without wiring that will come on when something goes in the beam and then go off again.

I don't need them to connect to one and another as one at back and one at front.

Thanks for help.
JamesEB

Last edited:
Thanks and these look very good. Not knowing anything about it they look a bit more substantial than I thought.

Do they have some whistles and bells?

I just need LED ones without wiring that will come on when something goes in the beam and then go off again.

Thanks for help.
JamesEB

doubt if they exist lol
you need big batteries big solar panels and be prepaired to charge up the batteries when theres little sun to charge them which happens to be when you need them to work the most

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back