Thoughts on latest wireless security cams ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my road seems to be going through a bit of a crime spell a the moment so I am considering security options. One things I would really like is a wireless security cam system, possibly with a speaker I could talk out of if I spot some scum trying to get in.

There are so many systems around now it is difficult to know wha is good or bad. I see Nest produce some but requires a yearly subscription for storage space. Other offer battery based wifi systems.

Any thoughts on good products. I'm looking to spend maybe up to £500 at a push.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
swebb99 : "Hey you, scumbag, what are you doing on my backyard"?

scumbag : "eh"?

swebb99 : "Go away now or I'll call the police"?

scrote : "Just lookin for summat ta nick mister".

swebb99 : "Would you mind removing your hoodie so we can capture your face"?

teef : "You avin a larf"?

swebb99 : "Right, that's it. I'm calling the police".

lol actually I work minutes away from my house so I wouldn't be getting in a conversation with them ;)

lol actually I work minutes away from my house so I wouldn't be getting in a conversation with them ;)

So, when spotting that someone might be on your property, you will be rushing out of work to get your freakin head kicked in?

CCTV doesn't work for 99.99% of the situations that the fools who install it think it does.

It does not work.

Sponsored Links
No me and a few work colleges would just be having a game of hop scotch with them. Luckily I have a slightly more open view of how events turn out than you, and don't assume your in the 00.01% of the population because you obviously aren't ;)

My cctv didn't help with my recent bike theft even though one of the oiks was recognised.

Imo you need flood lights too, as the police aren't interested in night vision footage due to the burden of proof for ID.

There are really two options. An all in one monitor like the canary or hikvsion connected to a NAS or DVR. My set up is connected to my NAS via PoE. It works very well, but i'm adding better lighting too.

I'm currently in the south of France sailing, but have been able to check the cameras via my phone.

Yes, in most cases, the Police don't want to know and I can think of nothing worse than watching your house being burgled while you are sailing in th South of France for example. However, the OP works minutes away and can be home, with help, to catch them in the act so a cheap cctv setup or even a silent alarm is all he wants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back