Seeing Daylight In Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
hoping for a bit advice/reassurance please. seems to be the months for all sorts of issues with my house... :(
anyway, during windy days i've been hearing a tapping/knocking that sounded like something lifting/dropping or such, pretty irregular. got a guy out and he looked the roof over, said all was good, might be wind getting in under the bottom bit of the overhang (sorry, can't recall the term he used), or might even be one of the facing tiles on the front of the house; a couple do look out of place slightly.
Anyway, today was more noise, so i went up into the attic, had a torch and the light off, and i see a bright patch rover one of the bedrooms, right down where the eaves are. sorry for the crap picture
P1110728.jpg

some threads seem to suggest this isn't something to be greatly worried about? got the guy coming back next week, but i'm fretting :D

there's some light visible at the gable too, beyond these breezeblocks;
P1110734.jpg

you can see they're a bit manky and plugged with insulation :-/

no signs of water leakage etc.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Roof spaces need to breath, there's a gap between the top of fascia board and tile.

Any knocking in the wind tends to be tile chatter. Every 3rd course of tile tends to be nailed down, the others tend to chatter in the wind. When I tiled roofs, I used to pop a nail in each tile to help reduce this.

Sponsored Links
hi guys, thanks for the replies. had a roofer out, there's a couple holes in the felt so i'm getting that replaced.

is the light beyond the breezeblocks anything to worry about? can have the guys look at the roof when they're doing the other stuff [i'm getting end caps put on the ridges instead of the cement, when they start messing about]. will blocking those godawful gaps be enough to sort me out? if so, what's the best solution? i'm not too clever at mixing cement - aside from not having a spare breezeblock in the house, lol - would some expanding foam or similar be ok?

TIA

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back