Seeking advice on refurbishing front of house (top half only)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for any advice and tips anyone can offer in advance of a project I'd like to start later in the summer. I've attached a photo taken of my house to help illustrate what I'm working with. The top half is painted, and this is the part I'd like to freshen up. I'm not sure if there's render under then paint, but I notice that the area above the front door has blown and will need scraping off first. The surface is also peeling off to the left of the house where the TV aerial cable runs down the wall. Note also that there's a concrete lintel above the front door which, although it looks pretty awful, I can't do much with other than paint. Unfortunately the downpipe belongs to the neighbour and is also falling off the wall. I've already spoken with them about my plans and asked if they could perhaps do something about this before I start. They were happy to do so fortunately. So, the questions I have at this stage are:

1. Is it worth trying to do something to tidy up the cables? Perhaps using an angle grinder to cut a channel into the blockwork so I can bury the cables before filling over with cement? I can't cut through the lintel, so the cables will still be partially visible as they pass over the top of this. I could just reclip the cables to the wall and paint over the top, but after advice as to what people think will be the best approach.

2. I can see that in the past some the previous owner has re-painted and there are visible areas where the previous paint had flaked off and is at a different level to the rest. Could anyone recommend a suitable paint which would hide this as much as possible?

Kind regards
Simon

Attachments

• IMG_0694.jpg
    IMG_0694.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 44
Sponsored Links
The Ariel cables need to be surface mounted as they can get water in them & need to be replaced. Burying them would only give you a potentially weak spot that might crack later. The cable for the outside light could be dropped down the cavity if you have one although some electricians frown on this method of installation.
If you are going to have it re-rendered I would suggest K-Rend as if installed by an approved installer is guaranteed & more serviceable & can have different designs cut into it during installation. The old render would probably be removed before fitting any new type of render.

The Ariel cables need to be surface mounted as they can get water in them & need to be replaced. Burying them would only give you a potentially weak spot that might crack later. The cable for the outside light could be dropped down the cavity if you have one although some electricians frown on this method of installation.
If you are going to have it re-rendered I would suggest K-Rend as if installed by an approved installer is guaranteed & more serviceable & can have different designs cut into it during installation. The old render would probably be removed before fitting any new type of render.
Thanks, that's a good point about the aerial cable. I think it might be a bit of a challenge trying to drop the cable for the light and the 12V doorbell cable down the cavity as there's an internal wall directly behind the light.

The cable for the outside light could be dropped down the cavity if you have one although some electricians frown on this method of installation.

Cables should be run down inside cavities, what if they are overheated and catch fire?

Sponsored Links
The surface is also peeling off to the left of the house where the TV aerial cable runs down the wall.

Best way, is to run aerial cables down through the house itself, from the loft. Use something like modern CT100 coax, put a socket in the loft, then when an antenna needs replacing, they can just plug it in, in the loft socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back