Seeking temporary insulation for dormer windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a 70s house with enormous dormer windows. Needless to say, the house is really cold. I've read lots of threads about how to do a proper insulation job but I want to spend a few months considering the options (e.g. insulate as is vs replace with a pitched roof).

In the short term I would like a way to get through the winter. I'm looking for a cheap short term fix. Perhaps a layer of foil and/or polystyrene (e.g NMC Noma Therm Wall Veneer from Homebase). It doesn't have to look great - just to keep us warm for a few months.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a layer of foil and/or polystyrene (e.g NMC Noma Therm Wall Veneer from Homebase).

I doubt it will help much at all - It seems a bit gimmicky and probably of hardly any noticeable effect. To be honest the effort to put in something really worthwhile would be better directed into putting it in properly.

alastairreid has pointed you to a form of construction that would affect the exterior roof level of a flat roofed dormer window without really disturbing your dormer interior. It should be something that can done quickly and giving you an immediate worthwhile and permanent solution.

I would suggest you go that way now.

My own house (1930's) had a cold dormer window, but not so big and is covered in lead. I decided to take the cold roof route and ripped of the plaster to reveal the structure and used high performance insulation in the structure before plaster boarding back. Messy internally but can be done in almost any weather.

Thanks both, but I really want to modify the dormers in a way that would need planning permission, so acting fast is really not an option.

Sponsored Links
You dont need pp to lay a few slabs of insulation on your roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back