Seeping oil cut-off valve.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just returned from a few days away to find a strong smell of oil and a puddle of oil inside the Potterton boiler. The valve shown is seeping around the valve stem when on. If this were a water valve I'd just tighten down on the packing a bit but this doesn't seem to be the same construction. It's turned off at the moment and there's no seepage. Is it fixable or does it require a valve replacement?

We had the (gravity fed) tank filled for the first time since April or so just before we left home so I'm thinking the sudden increase in head pressure may have triggered this. Just to add to the interest I've got the Atkinson Tankmaster dome on the tank spinning but going nowhere, but I've been reading up on how to deal with that one elsewhere on the forum.

Valve.jpg

Sponsored Links
It is possible to replace the 'o' rings on the stem after undoing the gland nut, but for the sake of £4-£5 a new valve is easiest. If you have a remote fire valve, and this has just been used as a service valve, then a simple lever valve will suffice.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both. I don't have a remote fire valve so I think I'll get one installed and have them replace the internal valve as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back