seized stop cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there,

I have a stopcock that will not budge, access is poor. the bar on the spindle is just spinning and no amount of molies and wrench`s are going to move it now as pretty mashed
The valve itself seems pretty old ( its a 50 - 60`s council block in bermonsdsey london )
one side is 15mm copper, the other side seems to be steel.3\4 i guess but i am not sure . the flow is poor and needs to be increased.
taking the body out of the valve seems a good option, does anyone have any thoughts about what size it i likely to be ...or any other ideas...obviously when i try and whip the innards out there will be a lot of water...there is no room to freeze it..
any help greatly appriciated

guy

Sponsored Links
Call a plumber!

And before you ask we dont cover South London and only do boiler repairs when its a seized stopcock.

It can also be quite an involved job so start saving up about £250 just in case!

Tony

Thanks for the advice Tony not what i wanted to hear but sometimes you got to do these things.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Try to undo the gland nut on the shaft, then heat it up. Sometimes plus-gas penetrating fluid will help. Then back to the mole grips.
You might be lucky with replacing the innards. If you buy British fittings with bsp ends, a couple of different makes.

"No Room" is relative. Recently froze a stopcock where there was no room. I wrapped it with soggy dishcloth and put two electric freezing clamps over it and had a cup of tea.

Unfortunately, they'd put sugar in it. But pouring the stuff over the bit I wanted to get out, thawed it enough to turn.

Not sure if it would have worked without sugar. :confused:

Council blocks usually have big, meaty stop valves somewhere, serving a few flats. I expect if you ask enough, you'll find it. Start with the council!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back