Selecting hot water heats radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with the central heating system that I hope someone can confirm what I think is wrong.

When selecting the hot water on the timer clock to come on we get the radiators heating up as well. My initial thoughts were that the timer clock was faulty but this has been replaced by a new one. My last through was that the motorised valve is in some way faulty. There is a switch on the valve and wanted to know what that does. Also if I had to replace the valve do I have to drain the system down or can I just replace the valve.

How do I then refill the system and should I use a rust inhibitor?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
My initial thoughts were that the timer clock was faulty but this has been replaced by a new one.
Has this prob just occurred since you changed the clock ? could be that the wiring is different. Check this first
My last thought was that the motorised valve is in some way faulty
You are on the right track there. Could be the motorised valve head or more likely the valve sticking
There is a switch on the valve and wanted to know what that does
When in the locked position it keeps the valve open so that water can drain out
Also if I had to replace the valve do I have to drain the system down

Yes. Stop the water getting from the small tank in the loft to your system by isolation valve, stoptap or tying up the balltap and drain out from a drain off valve in a lower part of your system.

How do I then refill the system

Close the drain off valve and untie the balltap / turn on supply again

should I use a rust inhibitor?

Always recommended to use inhibitor! Add it to small tank before you turn the water back on.
If the water you drain off is black and sludgey its recommended that you add a sludge remover first. Run it for a few weeks as per instructions then drain fully and then add inhibitor.
If its really bad you could invest in a powerflush which will do a better job altogether, but thats a more money job, to be weighed against the benefits

You dont say much about exactly what your system is comprised of so I just made standard assumptions

[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back