Self-adhesive trunking: install tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for installing self-adhesive trunking?
I am installing over some new wallpaper and have been thinking that I will have to get my positioning right first time; moving the self-adhesive trunking will take some of the underlying wallpaper with it!

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
1) Go back in time and chase the cables into the walls before applying new wallpaper.

2) Don't use self-adhesive trunking - go for the sort that you screw/pin/plug to the wall......

Mike, SAT is a real pain in the rear, you would be better off using the normal stuff, as it is cheaper too, and drilling and fixing it.

However, if you have bought it, and there are very good reasons for using it (It should still be screwed to the wall if carrying 230V cables) then the easiest method is a spirit level and a pencil. Draw the top edge or bottom edge (whichever you will see easiest when installing) and use this as a guide.

Peel back the adhesive pad cover about 8 inches and ensure this section is stuck to the wall in concert with your pencil line. Then you slowly peel the backing off, ensuring the trunking is placed on the line in small sections as you go.

It is like anything, take your time and it will come out right.

i would say do as FWL_Engineer said, and still screw it to the wall.
I have found that no matter what make it falls off after time, although this can be some years, it "drys out" and falls down

Sponsored Links
Thanks all.
It went up quite easily in a corner and will be mostly hidden when I put the curtains back up.
Don't know how long it will stay up, though. After being transported in the car, the trunking is bowed.

Still, it looks neat enough at the moment and is OK for routing a lightweight TV cable.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back