Self Amalgamating Tape

Sponsored Links
Soldered joints are supposed to be electrically and mechanically sound before soldering so strain relief is not necessary.
It is one of the acceptable methods for hidden joints.

I think self-amalgamating tape is fine and can be as thick as you want.
It becomes like a single rubber tube after a short time - hence the name.

And the rubber composition starts breaking down quite quickly unless it's adequately protected against the atmosphere, unlike the PVC cable it's protecting.

Sponsored Links
And the rubber composition starts breaking down quite quickly unless it's adequately protected against the atmosphere, unlike the PVC cable it's protecting.

Rubbish. I've used self amalgamating tape on satellite LNB connections since 1988, out in all weathers and it has never broken down.

It's the original PVC that breaks down in UV light which is why T&E is not used outside.

Last edited:
Isn't this exactly what insulating tape was made for?

I take it you are referring to insulating tape and not PVC electrical tape.

But anyway, these days wrapping a joint in tape is a botch and yet another useless post.

I WAS referring to PVC tape often referred to as insulating tape.

Wrapping a joint in self amalgamating tape is not a bodge. It self amalgamates and is as good as the original outside sleeving. Do not make insulting remarks about other members perfectly good and helpful posts.

I thought it'd be a good idea to split this away from the damaged cable thread.
Rubbish. I've used self amalgamating tape on satellite LNB connections since 1988, out in all weathers and it has never broken down.

It's the original PVC that breaks down in UV light which is why T&E is not used outside.
Yeah...
I've been using self amalgamating and self vulcanising tape in many situations since I started work in 1972 so yeah I think I know something about the stuff.
BT (my first job) tried using it for jointing cables and very quickly found it goes soft, perishes and loses its elasticity. The simple solution was to cover it with PVC tape to keep the damp air off it. Any ol' tape will do because it bonds to the SA perfectly but a quality product like Scotch 33 is better. In fact Scotch 33 on it's own will protect coax plug for many years, (probably longer than SA) whereas a cheap tape will not.

One of (if not the most) the most frequently failed SA joints I've come across is on satelite dishes and the botched in-line joints. Oh and yes I've fixed loads of them. Can I suggest referring to MI's.

I'm involved with radio engineering and I can assure that there will never Ever be unprotected SA tape on a proffessional aerial tower, I've known disciplinary action taken on staff for doing so on more than one occassion.

Wrapping a joint in self amalgamating tape is not a bodge.

Then please explain why self-amalgating tape is frequently banned from being used for permanent repairs.

It was allowed for temporary repairs to a damaged cable until a new length cable could be installed.

Companies I worked for would not allow self-amalgamating tape other than on temporary repairs that were necessary to keep a service in operation until a new cable could be installed.

As I said I have never had problems with it over many years on satellite installations.

Perhaps BT were using poor quality cheap stuff. These large organisations tend to go on price rather than quality these days. Usually choose the second cheapest.

Then please explain why self-amalgating tape is frequently banned from being used for permanent repairs.

It was allowed for temporary repairs to a damaged cable until a new length cable could be installed.
By who?

Probably by the site manager. But you won't know about that, because your electrical experience is from a keyboard.

Probably by the site manager. But you won't know about that, because your electrical experience is from a keyboard.

So just someone who does not really know then, but thinks he does like yourself!

As I started work more than 10 years before you I guess I have more electrical experience than you.

So just someone who does not really know then, but thinks he does like yourself!

As I started work more than 10 years before you I guess I have more electrical experience than you.
I didn’t realise you were an electrician, unlike TTC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back