Self-cutting tap is leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought one of these from Screwfix http://www.screwfix.com/p/self-cutting-tap-15mm-x/21250 to connect to my central heating pipework since I don't have a drain off valve. I've connected it up, but it's leaking very slightly and it seems to be from the locking nut. I've done it up very tight, but not too tight since I don't want to crush the pipe. Is it faulty? How do I stop the leak?

Sponsored Links
I wasn't trying to buy ****e, but this is only one of 2 designs I could find online.

Sponsored Links
No, not concrete. Whats that got to do with this?

You back from cross The Pond Kev?

And yes, 'tis sh*te. Get yourself a compression tee and a drain cock and do it proper.

so if you have wooden suspended floors with the pipework underneath
pull a board cut the pipe
and then insert a tee with a drain valve
unless its to difficult for you :rolleyes:

Why would you need a drain off in the first place ? If you couldn't do something simple like draining a heating system you shouldn't as Kev said buy ****e

Bad luck Kev. That's a real choker. Tenn is really great life.

Anyway, the words you don't want to hear - welcome back to Blighty! :(

Hope you make it back some time soon.

How these guys expect u cut in a tee if you don't have a drain cock I don't know. I guess try didn't read the whole post

Use the fitting you have to drain the pipework then cut in a compression tee and drain cock as suggested.

These clamp on things are ****e and ate not designed to be permenant

Thanks gasservice1985. I'm just starting out in DIY so I researched into it, and found that without a drain cock the easiest way to drain the water initially is to get a self cutting tap. Now that I've at least got SOME way to drain the system I can put in a radiator valve with a drain valve and get rid of this self-cutting tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back