self emloyed 80% payment but still working??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so, about 90% of my work has disappeared, but i am still doing essential emergency work, does anyone know how the new package the chancellor has announced will work in this situation??

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware you will keep doing what you need to do in the way of essential work, any grant and earnings will all go towards the monthly income when you self assess in the following year.

I assume the grant will be considered as earnings for those months, which will then be included as part of your income, I guess we all need to wait till the notification in June comes out though to confirm

what i dont want is to go to an essential job once in a week, earn £60 but lose more than that, i am pretty sure he's got that covered, otherwise you'd not find an emergency plumber for love, money or loo roll!!

From what they have announced so far, self-employed sole traders and partnerships do not have to stop trading completely and will be paid a grant based on previous years’ profits.

On the other hand, a limited company only gets the money for employees who are not working. I’m a one-person limited company (not anything related to building, I’m just a DIYer), I pay myself by PAYE, and I need to decide whether to lay myself off or not; I don’t have the option of choosing to work 1 day a week, for example. A strict reading suggests I shouldn’t even do paperwork like paying bills, bookkeeping etc.

This could all change; keep alert for new announcements.

Sponsored Links
I got the impression that the grant was just going to be a freebie handout - no means testing or mechanism to claw it back.

So if there was no drop off in your business, you could potentially earn the same and get a 3 month government bonus.

It is taxable, so will have to be declared as income next year.

From what they have announced so far, self-employed sole traders and partnerships do not have to stop trading completely and will be paid a grant based on previous years’ profits.
3 years profits - if you've been trading less than 3 years - see Martin Lewis Moneysavingexpert - good info updated there.

Last edited:
Its a free payment made to the self employed based on your last 3yrs tax returns. not means tested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back