Self expanding foam: messy stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My first experience with self-expanding foam. Luckily it was the DIY-friendly "expand by 2 times" from Unibond. But I still made a right dogs dinner of filling a gap round a window frame. This stuff is messier than silicone!

*I didn't wet the area enough before applying it. So it did not adhere well and dropped down all over the place.
After it had cured for an hour I pulled off most of the large bubbles and tried to trim it with a Stanley knife. It still looks awful. Tips please for doing a tidy job...
* I spilt some on a deep pile rug. Got most of it off with kitchen towel and damp cloth. Any tips for cleaning?
* My fingers are covered in it! I thought it would come off if I left it overnight...

Mike

Sponsored Links
You can get a product to remove it. I think it's called 'foam eater'.

joe

mike004 said:
My first experience with self-expanding foam. Luckily it was the DIY-friendly "expand by 2 times" from Unibond. But I still made a right dogs dinner of filling a gap round a window frame. This stuff is messier than silicone!

*I didn't wet the area enough before applying it. So it did not adhere well and dropped down all over the place.
After it had cured for an hour I pulled off most of the large bubbles and tried to trim it with a Stanley knife. It still looks awful. Tips please for doing a tidy job...
* I spilt some on a deep pile rug. Got most of it off with kitchen towel and damp cloth. Any tips for cleaning?
* My fingers are covered in it! I thought it would come off if I left it overnight...

Try applying loads and loads of moisturiser to your hands as it helps to lift the foam, you can aslo start trying to remove it with a nail file.

Mike

mike004 said:
I feel for you Mike - it's hideous stuff. My top tip is to not use it except in a cavity space that's almost completely enclosed. Too late, I know, but maybe you won't be tempted again.

mike004 said:
I spilt some on a deep pile rug. Got most of it off with kitchen towel and damp cloth. Any tips for cleaning?
Use acetone.

mike004 said:
My fingers are covered in it! I thought it would come off if I left it overnight...
Sadly not - do your hands now resemble those of Freddie Kruger?

Forget the moisturiser - use more acetone.

If you can't find a plentiful supply of acetone, ask an industrial printer. If you can't find one of those, then buy some non-environmentally-friendly nail polish remover from a chemist.

And, for the benefit of joe, "nail polish" in this context is not an instruction to harm people from Poland.

Sponsored Links
Slogger said:
omg softus stop the joe thing ok
Wake up Slogger - that was nearly a week ago.

However, only joe can stop "the joe thing".

If you want to remove expanding foam from your hands the most effective and safe way to do this is a simple procedure.

rub hands with a liberal amount of olive oil or vaseline.
put on some rubber gloves surgical type.

leave these on for the entire day if possible this will break down the
compound on your hands and it will start to lift.
final hot bath and scrub. the foam should come away easily.

Mathew Smith

If you want to remove expanding foam from your hands the most effective and safe way to do this is a simple procedure.

rub hands with a liberal amount of olive oil or vaseline.
put on some rubber gloves surgical type.

leave these on for the entire day if possible this will break down the
compound on your hands and it will start to lift.
final hot bath and scrub. the foam should come away easily.

Mathew Smith

Some people would pay quite a lot to have this done in Soho and prices will have gone up dramatically in the 3 years since to original post. :LOL:

I got my hands covered in it. I had some Screwfix No Nonsense silicone sealer remover handy. Brused it on....five minutes, worked the foam from skin with a stick, it came off very easily. once all loosened I just wiped away with an old cloth. ;)

I got my hands covered in it. I had some Screwfix No Nonsense silicone sealer remover handy. Brused it on....five minutes, worked the foam from skin with a stick, it came off very easily. once all loosened I just wiped away with an old cloth. ;)

Good to hear! If the original poster (from 2005) still hasn't got it off his hands, I'm sure this will be a great relief to him :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back