Self fitted heat pump (experimental)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm thinking about buying a heat pump! I think being in the UK, with our lowish temperatures, they may not work the best here, but perhaps worth a try?
Has anyone had any experience with DIY heatpump experiments?
Cheers, Camerart.

Sponsored Links
I've looked at the possibility of installing a small split system in the main living area. Cost of kit is about six or seven hundred quid and the situation lends itself to it. I've not ruled it out yet. The main objection is the internal cassette, which isn't the prettiest looking thing. UK climate is fairly mild so most systems should work reasonably well. It's heat loss that is the issue.

I've looked at the possibility of installing a small split system in the main living area. Cost of kit is about six or seven hundred quid and the situation lends itself to it. I've not ruled it out yet. The main objection is the internal cassette, which isn't the prettiest looking thing. UK climate is fairly mild so most systems should work reasonably well. It's heat loss that is the issue.
Hi J,
I think noise is also a question, but the later ones, are quieter, but cost £thousands.
I think the heat source is something to look into and perhaps consider ground source or even roof source, who knows?

I have another post here that touches on insulation, that you may be interested in.
C

Sponsored Links
I read recently that air-con units have a carbon footprint the same size as 4, (four), standard domestic fridge/freezers.
So, the attempts at keeping ourselves cool via A/C is actually increasing the carbon levels.
It was on the BBC news website early last week, but I can't find it now.

I read recently that air-con units have a carbon footprint the same size as 4, (four), standard domestic fridge/freezers.
So, the attempts at keeping ourselves cool via A/C is actually increasing the carbon levels.
It was on the BBC news website early last week, but I can't find it now.
Hi C,
I'm not sure if you know the difference between air-cons and heat pumps. Air-cons are mainly for cooling and heat pumps for heating.
Along with fridges, they are all pretty similar, in they move heat from one place to another.

I'm more interested in keeping warm in cold weather, so think more about heatpumps. With good conditions, heatpumps output 3-4 times the KW used to run them. In Britain in the winter, generally it has poor conditions, so 'say' autumn, they may give out more than put in, in winter not so. As for carbon output, heatpumps, could give less carbon output than the alternatives that we use for heat.

If you're interested in all of this, try to learn from different places, believe everyone and no one.
Thanks, C.

Sorry guys. Seem to have given the wrong impression.
@camerart, yes I know the benefits of heat pumps, I actually had one for my swimming pool a few years ago. Even in the winter it would get the temperature up to the low 30C's (Pool was 18' x 12' x 4' so not a little paddling pool or hot tub). The mention of A/C's was with reference to someone further up mentioning to get one. Sorry for the confusion.
@Brigadier, always got the windows open mate. I live in the countryside where the air is fresh, (except when the farmers are muck-spreading!). Don't really like A/C as it's so temperamental at times, (thats my experience when in office environments, either too cold or too hot).

Hi C,
I'm not sure if you know the difference between air-cons and heat pumps. Air-cons are mainly for cooling and heat pumps for heating.
Along with fridges, they are all pretty similar, in they move heat from one place to another.
There are reversible heat pumps available.
Heating in the winter, cooling in the summer.

Sponsored Links
Back