Self-inflicted plumbing disaster (need advice if possible)

Hi guys

Sorry for not replying sooner - I could possibly have saved some tension from forming if I had.

If it helps to assure anyone that the pedestal is definitely NOT upside down - I've checked and it has two holes at the base, which would be for securing it to the floor. Also, I'm not sure how clear it is from the photos, but the top of the pedestal is contoured and shaped to fit a rounded object (ie a basin), so it would never be able to sit flat against the floor if turned upside down.

I already know (from what I was told from the previous owner) that the pedestal is the WRONG one for this basin. So that explains why it appears to fit so badly.

The thread has got a bit lengthy, but my original disaster was really the leaky joint I created as a result of the basin falling off the wall. That's now been fixed. So I'm a happy bunny. And I've gained plenty of handy tips from you lot in the process.

The wonky pedestal was always going to be something that I'd find a fix for without too much trouble. But I can see that it has turned into a bit of a monster on this thread all on its own! LOL!

Thanks for all the replies and advice! x

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Now if only you had told everyone that there were fixing points on the pedestal to screw it to the floor :ROFLMAO:
Go back to my first suggestion, screw pedestal to floor including silicon bead , if there are screw holes in the back of basin use them or use the "L" brackets silicon the back of basin to wall, pack underneath the basin/pedestal and apply silicon once the silicon goes off the basin and pedestal will be firm and no more worries !!
No one will notice they different makes

You'll still find rudeness and aggression on the plumbing forum, quite a few massive egos on there .

Don't worry, I haven't thought that there's been any rudeness or aggression in this thread. It's practically an artform in itself to post comments on a forum that can't be misinterpreted as something negative. So I always try to imagine the context is a light-hearted discussion with friends in a pub - it usually helps put any comments in perspective. And on this particular forum, I hope I'm humble enough to realise that most people here will have a lot more knowledge about DIY than I do (so no "massive egos" - just confidence in what they know). x

Now if only you had told everyone that there were fixing points on the pedestal to screw it to the floor :ROFLMAO:
Go back to my first suggestion, screw pedestal to floor including silicon bead , if there are screw holes in the back of basin use them or use the "L" brackets silicon the back of basin to wall, pack underneath the basin/pedestal and apply silicon once the silicon goes off the basin and pedestal will be firm and no more worries !!
No one will notice they different makes

Apologies Bosswhite, I only just got round to having a look at the inner part of the base yesterday and spotted the holes! I'd have checked sooner if I'd realised what a hot topic it would become. :oops:

Sadly, there's no way I'm going to be able to screw supports into the wall. From what I've read, even experts have been driven near tears trying to secure anything to a "No-Fines Concrete" wall. And with the added difficulty of having to drill carefully through tile first before getting to the wall, it is just too much of a risky venture.

I've gone ahead and secured the basin to the wall with silicone - a generous amount behind the basin where it meets flush with the wall, and a neat bead along the top of the basin. I figured since the basin was previously only secured by a thin bead of silicone, that what I've done it marginally safer. I'll also screw the pedestal into the floor, and add a bead of silicone (as best I can) around the join between the basin and the pedestal. So it's all good for now. :)

If you want some examples (only if you are curious) of why this type of wall is a nightmare to screw into, here is a link to a discussion that's pretty informative: http://community.screwfix.com/threa...s-into-interior-wimpey-no-fines-walls.134249/

Even The Concrete Society (yes, there is such a thing!) have pretty negative things to say about it: http://www.concrete.org.uk/fingertips-nuggets.asp?cmd=display&id=903

Anyway, I'll stop boring you all now! This problem is now definitely well and truly solved. Many thanks again to all!

Lori
x

With a combination of a proper tile drill bit (heart shaped thing, use a piece of masking tape to stop the centre slipping) and a proper wall fixing kit (large rawlplugs, M12 fittings and large nylong washer) and/or two part chemical fixing resin (applied using a normal applicator gun like you use for silicone resin) you'll be able to fix your sink to the wall and the pedestal is then not structural - no wobble at all.

When drilling, start off with a smaller drill, in the tile to establish the centre; go all the way through to the wall. Then do the other hole, go all the way through to the wall, then measure again in case they've wandered. Then do your larger hole. Is the wall plasterboard or brick/block? Once you've drilled have a look through the hole to see if the tile is well supported. If it is, it wont crack when you tighten the nylon nut.

Nozzle

Last edited:
A problem I have experienced with olives is :- If you push the pipe right home, then the olive , when you tighten the back nut, the olive bites in where it is and does not move down the pipe to seal against the cone bit of the union. Some times just removing the whole pipe and filing 1mm or less of the end of it, allows to olive to seal before the pipe end hits its end stop. Sounds a bit like that with this one.
Frank

Utter drivel.

I would buy several tubes of white silicone sealant, remove the basin and put plenty on the pedestal top and the back of the basin - its a bodge but that pedestal\basin pair is also a bodge.
Stick the whole thing down and on the wall (clean and roughen everything first).

Once the sealant has set enough then it will be stuck to the wall, my bathroom basin is stuck to the wall like this - it was when I moved in 8 years ago and the only way its coming off is with a lump hammer.

Several tubes? it's clear you've not actually done this yourself.

clear silicone is stronger, no more nails would work better imo.

You are correct - I never actually did it.

And yes, several (more than 1) tubes, there isnowt worse than running out of bodgings when trying to do a bodge. :)

I am certainly impressed with your high standard or workman(woman)ship, very professional and I am sure your work will last for years.
Not to mention your high standard of photography.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back