Self Levelling Compound onto Block and Beam type floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning, in relation to tiling questions I have elsewhere, I thought I'd best ask this question for you wonderful knowledgable people to answer.

Lurking underneath the horrid chipboard, we have what is I believe called a "Block and Beam" type floor (concrete beams and blocks slotted together).

If I needed to, and assuming these blocks are grouted, and have a DPM underneath, can I apply a Self Levelling Compound directly onto the block and beam construction, or would I need to do any other prep work beforehand?

I'm looking to perhaps apply Marmox boards on top of the levelled surface afterwards.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
In general, these type of floors will have a sand and cement screed applied over them prior to a smoothing compound being laid. The smoothing compound isn't really strong rnough to cope with any movement which may take place within the block and beam.

A recent similar thread which may answer some if not all of your questions;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=265985
I tend to scan all the forums but not all the regulars may do; for tiling or floor preparation before tiling post the Tiling Forum, you’re likely to get a much better response. Also read the Tiling Sticky & Forum Archive posts to avoid making potentially expensive mistakes. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back