Self-levelling concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I’m going to attempt to level my conservatory floor. It’s not level and is about ½ to 1 inch lower that my kitchen, which it’s attached to. I’ve heard if the layer is to thin it will crack? If anyone could give me any advice on, what’s the best stuff to use? what’s the minimum thickness the layer can be? and how to get it level? I’d be very grateful.

Thanks!
Paul

Sponsored Links
Get your self some bags of floor tile adhesive(fast set)level off from your highest point and pull some screeds thru, when gone off just fill in between the screeds and level from screed to screed. Others might tell you to use self levelling compound but I never do. You should not go below 1and a quarter inchs with screed mix (sand and cement) as it will break up eventually. I usually fill in with old tiles or slates as long as you bed them in the mix and it helps to build up the height. What are you putting on top of the finished floor? The method I've explained is ideal if your putting floor tiles down. I use Alliance fast set tile adhesive it comes in bags and you mix it yourself, but I suppose you could use most fast set floor tile adhesives.. Good Luck...

Hi

I’m going to attempt to level my conservatory floor. It’s not level and is about ½ to 1 inch lower that my kitchen, which it’s attached to. I’ve heard if the layer is to thin it will crack? If anyone could give me any advice on, what’s the best stuff to use? what’s the minimum thickness the layer can be? and how to get it level? I’d be very grateful.

Thanks!
Paul

Interesting method Roy..

If your new to floor levelling which Im guessing you are by your question, you would be best off to use self levelling compound.

My klocal merchants sells two types...one is for up to 10mm thickness of coverage, and the other type is for I think 10-50mm thickness.

Whay do you ask what is the minimum thickness it can be? it can be used down to 5mm ish as an average coverage depth (of course some areas are less, and some are more).

its easy to use. Mix what you need out of the bag (floorsize) as per the instructions, to a Mcdonalds milkshake consistency (or a little finer)

and then use a plastering trowel.
use a good bucket and find the lowest point in the room. Work out where you can stand as you do the work, otherwise you may get marooned on an island of floor :LOL:

Pour it in to the deep end and using the trowel push it around the floor to even coverage, continue pouring and moving back across the room and levelling as you go, continue all the waw to the door/exit and finish levelling there.

it basically does 'self level' and moving it around with the trowel is so that it gets in all areas....it should settle to a flat finish and skim over it if there are any lumps.

make sure you have another route out of the house if this room is part of your throughfare. As it cant be walked on for a good few hours (check teh pack). THe last stuff I used was 12 hours till solid

Old school and1c. Old habits die hard.. Old dogs and all that.. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
im gonn attempt my kitchen but i reckon tht lthough it says "self levelling" that its probably like a "self cleaning" item . as in it probably isnt going to do it ll by itself. so id say you should get a really level peice of wood a large one and lay it accross the floor to get an idea of the slope of it and where there are major dents and maybe mark them with chalk and then make a bit of a grid with as the first guy said the ideal level in places and then fill in from "island of ideal height" to isloand as you go and rest teh long peice of wood accross the islands and sort of scrape it between them. also you have to put adhesive thats what causes the cracking if you dont put adhesive the layer on top has a slight gap under it where its not stuck to the original cement and when you walk on it the pressure causes it to crack so you need an adhesive for the kind of layer your gonna do pva might work but i presume theres special one and that layer allows the top layer to stick to teh bottom layer. you cn also use kind of latex with cement if your doing relly small layer nd becuase latex adds elsticity you can smear it very thin in places. i also have no ive never done this. ive asked few companies if they could nad they seem to think once a floor is uneven theres nothing to be done so i relly have to prove them wrong. utube has some good videos and thats where i got the idea of the level wood thing but i like the idea of islands theres no way on earth you could judge by eye if something was level over a whole floor and "self levelling" just smcks of " not as easy as it sounds! good luck love to hear how it goes:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back